Chapter Twenty-Eight

Elle's POV

If Kaden noticed that I swallowed for the fourth time in only a minute, he didn't mention it. Too bad for him because I was about to throw up, and he would wear most of it.

It hadn't been nearly as bad until I had caught myself in a stare-down with the cameraman from Channel 10. He had a glint in his eyes that had caused my stomach to bottom out and my throat to dry out.

I coughed, unscrewing my water as I glanced around at the dozens of news crews. Most of them had predatory eyes, as though they knew this would be a complete dumpster fire, and right in the centre of it all, in a paisley pantsuit, was Hana.

We were given the two-minute warning, and Kaden finally placed his hand over mine, drawing my eyes away from the growing crowd. 'I'm glad you're here.' He said softly, his thumb sweeping across my knuckles.

I cursed him out for saying the only thing that would keep me from running and flipped my hand so we were palm to palm. 'I'm glad I'm here too.'

I'm not sure my smile was more than a grimace, but I meant it. I was glad that I'd come.

It had taken us three weeks to get where we were. We spent three gruelling weeks tucked away in Kaden's office as we sought a solution. We came out for food and sleep, but for three weeks, we threw ourselves wholly into the roles of Alpha and whatever the hell I was to create a plan.

Rhunni, the Vermiculo pack's PR representative, came to the microphone to introduce the forum. She had been a whirlwind in action since Kaden had quietly brought her into his office after one of our last tireless days. She knew whom to call to organise this event on such short notice and made our lives a fraction easier as she stood there and diplomatically outlined our purpose today.

'-are not here to discuss the events of last year. Today, we aim to inform you of the upcoming changes and policies allowing former Umbra pack members to seek asylum with the Vermiculo pack. We will answer as many questions as we can. However, Alpha Delossa and his mate, Elliot Clarke, have the right to refrain from answering at any time. Alpha Kaden Delossa will now explain a little more about the policy.'

Kaden squeezed my hand tightly and rose from his seat. We'd debated whether or not I would stand beside him for this part of the announcement. Then Rhunni explained as peacefully as she could that as Iris was not participating, it would look like we were replacing her without going through the proper protocols.

I sat back, watching the expressions of everyone in the room as Kaden recited a speech I had memorised after practising with him for the last seventy-two hours.

Curiosity was visible on some faces, but the emotion was dwarfed by anger and concern. Kaden continued explaining the plight of the Umbra people. He cited not just Müller but three other pack members we had met with over the last three weeks. He explained how the policy would affect both our pack and the Umbra people and walked them through each step of the policy. 'I am guilty of turning a blind eye, of looking the other way when others were in need. My biases against these people who have done no wrong other than being born or fated to a pack whose leaders made terrible decisions have meant suffering. There are children without homes and families who have been separated. We intend to reunite those families and help them rebuild their pack.'

Within the aisles were three microphones, and as Rhummi welcomed me to the stage and opened the floor to question, a line, at least a dozen deep, started to form behind each one. They continued growing as Kaden answered the first few questions until anyone else who wanted to join would be forced to queue outside the hall.