Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine
Elle's POV

Old re-runs of the American sitcom, Friends, played softly on the T.V. Kaden had found an iconic episode, and Ross was screaming "Pivot" on screen, but we weren't watching.

I had my ear against Kaden's chest, rising and falling with his steady breath, listening to the song of his life force. It was a constant drum in my ear, and I tapped an echoing beat upon his chest.

Kaden had tucked me into his arms, smoothing a hand over my hair. I had little doubt that he was listening to my heart just as I was his. He always seemed to know how it beat. 'How was your meeting?'

Following the high tea, the Lunas held a closed-door meeting. Against all the odds, I had been invited, but I'd sat in the room, hardly saying a word as the room heated with tension. 'It was alright.'

There was an expectation among the Lunas that we would leave the meeting with something to tell our partners. Secrets were rare between soulmates. But it held an air of exclusivity by being closed-door, and I wasn't sure how much to share with him.

'I enjoy hearing their opinions. I didn't realise how involved a Luna's role is. Especially with the children.'

'Mhh,' Kaden hummed, using calloused fingers to draw patterns across my skin. 'I'll be expected to run a class with the children in two weeks. You'll do the same once you're Luna.'

'We won't do it together?'

He shook his head. And his lips skimmed my forehead, a waring sigh warming my skin. 'Don't stress about it. Iris will teach you what she can.'

He was right. There wasn't much point in stressing, not while control of the situation was so out of reach. But I'd never been good at letting things go, and thus a strained silence grew between us as concerns shadowed my thoughts.

Relying on Kaden had become somewhat of a full-time gig, and the thought of facing those children alone sent me spiralling. I couldn't do that. I couldn't shape the minds of young children.

I pressed my eyes shut, trying to block out those thoughts. I forced myself to listen to his heart, only noticing that he wasn't as affected by the silence as I was, his heart beating steadily.

He was on the brink of sleep when the thought came to me.

You won't be good enough.

It came from nowhere, pulled from the dark corners of my mind. I peered up at his stone-etched face, trying to find relief in his tranquil expression. That thought wasn't alone, though. Soon every thought I had was darkened, infected by the poison of doubt.

'I don't think yesterday helped.'

Kaden squinted through half-lidded eyes, a sigh on his lips. 'Were you not given a chance to speak?'

'I can't say I tried,' I brooded on the confession, 'I became distracted by listening to what was expected of them. I learnt more about what my role would be than I expected.'

Despite saying it was my own fault for being left behind during the meeting, I could tell it affected him as his chest tightened and his arm jerked around my waist. He wanted to say something, but he kept it to himself for whatever reason.

I knew him. He would carry those words with him if he were given half the chance, letting them simmer until he became overwhelmed by their truths. I didn't know how to draw the words out, and after a while, I settled my hand back over his chest. The way his heart jumped felt electric, and I buried a smile into the crook of his arm. 'How was your meeting?'