Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen
Elle's POV

A fevered heat blushed over my skin as Kaden's knuckles grazed my arm. His fingers flinched, recoiling as if in pain, and he lifted my bag from my shoulder, his eyes downcast. The quick retreat left a singeing iciness in its wake, stealing the warmth of his touch with it.

He looped the strap over his shoulder, making room in the back of the car before dropping it beside another black duffle, Kaden's travel bag, a pair of old running shoes, a wooden portmanteau and a box.

The portmanteau was an old relic. It had old brass buckles and an iron handle. The Vermiculo insignia was burned into the wood, and a corner covered in tattered leather had the first Alpha's initials etched upon it. The old chested luggage had files and important documents that couldn't be left behind, and the box beside it was filled with even more.

Just the sight of the boxes made my pulse pick up. There was so much to do, so much responsibility in those boxes.

The click of the latch caused me to balk, my foot sinking awkwardly into the gravel driveway. Pain spread through my ankle, shuddering along my bones until it echoed around my head. An uncomfortable heat pricked the back of my eyes, and it was as if someone had wrapped their hands around my throat, the air disappearing from my lungs.

My fingers twitched, and I clawed at the emotions welling within me, stifling them. I couldn't do this. Unspoken words burned in my throat, nearly tumbling free. I wanted to beg to stay behind. He needed to know that he had made a mistake, that I wasn't the one he needed. No. Stop! Kaden believed I could do this. But he didn't understand. He and I were so different.

Kaden's life had been council meetings and afternoons spent pouring over documents. A wasted childhood and sombre adolescence. He'd been training for this moment for years.

A year ago, I had sat with Kendra, and we'd taken a quiz to find out which Disney character we were. We'd laughed and joked about our answers and then talked about where we would be in ten years. I had assumed that I would be at the hotel still.

How could we be destined for the same life?

How could I believe him when the harried whispers promised that I was nothing short of a failure, just waiting for one more mistake to happen? They found their voices in the silence of my mind, repeating themselves like an age-old mantra. You're not good enough.

An omega would have been better than you.

How is a human supposed to be a Luna?

Kaden sighed, and my heart stuttered. Could he see my thoughts played on a movie screen?

A sigh filled to the brim with unease, burdened and worried. The type of sound was often questioned, but I bit back the words, trying not to draw attention to myself.

He noticed. It seemed like he always did.

Drawing me into his arms, he flattened his lips to my temple, but there was a stiffness in how he held me.

I ignored the voices in my head, curling my arms around Kaden. I burrowed into his chest, clenching my eyes so tightly that pressure radiated behind my brow, a headache blooming in its wake.

Kaden's arms tightened, his body stiffening. Relaxing, he eased back until he had only the faintest hold of me. He was quiet for a while, the ache in my chest widening at the silence. Eventually, he cleared his throat, not waiting for me to look up before mumbling into my hair, 'I know it's not fair to ask,' his arms tightened as I shifted, this time locking around me. 'But I need you to tell me when you go into the woods. I don't need to know why, and I won't come unless you want me to. I just need to know that you're safe.'