Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight
Elle's POV

Kaden paced the hallway of our hotel suite. I'd found the sound of his shoes hitting the marble to be soothing at first. It had been something to focus on while I did my makeup. Only after an hour of back and forth, of constant noise as his shoes tapped against the polished flooring, I realised just how much it was driving me insane.

On normal occasions, I sat in my room back home and did my makeup in peace. I'd play music softly while manipulating each brush stroke, artfully highlighting my natural features. It had become so familiar to me that it created a sense of tranquillity, even in times of stress. I'd grown fond of the simplicity of it, the monotony.

I didn't feel that same tranquillity with Kaden knocking a restless beat upon the tiles. He'd made it impossible to relax and had become a reminder of what waited for me at the end of the hour.

'Kaden.' I called, determined to set his mind at rest.

He either didn't hear me or was too caught up in his dilemma to respond. He continued up and down the hall, staring at his watch as time passed. I watched him in the compact mirror, glad I wasn't still trying to poke my eye out with my mascara—I'd spent an extra ten minutes trying to un-clump the mess I'd made in my distraction.

He didn't notice that I'd watched him most of the morning. He was off in his own world. His shoulders were drawn tight, and I wanted nothing more than to be able to help him. If only he'd share his concerns.

He jolted, flicking his wrist and flexing his fingers. It was like he had pins and needles or a dark thought which needed to be physically shaken from his memory. He twisted his head, staring at the ceiling with a heaving sigh.

I set my makeup more forcefully than necessary, the mist angrily spitting at my face. I dropped the bottle into my makeup bag, leaving it on the table as I stalked his retreating figure.

'Kaden!' I nipped, standing in the middle of the hallway, offering him no escape.

He turned, startled, faltering slightly. He released the stale air from his lungs and met my feverous eyes. 'Are you sure this is a good idea?'

I softened, offering him a barely-there smile as I shrugged. 'I think it's better than not showing up.'

His face pinched into a grimace, and he growled irritably. 'I'm serious, Elle.'

I didn't appreciate his short tone, adopting one of my own. 'I know.' I groused, already disappointed with my mood. I sighed. 'But I'm serious too. I was personally invited, Kaden. It would be rude not showing up.'

He thought about it, and though he didn't want to admit it, I was right. He buried his hands into his jacket pockets, suddenly finding the ground fascinating. 'You're probably right.'

I snorted, shaking my head with a peal of laughter. He wasn't impressed, and I sealed my lips with a terse smile. 'Probably.' I nodded.

He huffed, clearly finding me nonsensical, and returned to pacing the hallway. I'd made his suggestion moot, and he wasn't happy with the consequences. 'Is Fallyn going with you?'

On his return, I caught him by the lapel of his suit jacket, snatching my fingers around the fabric and halting him in his tracks. 'I don't think going alone would be a good idea; for your sanity or mine.'

His hands touched mine, his head falling towards his chest, bringing us closer. 'I don't want you to feel smothered.' He grumbled, tucking my hand into his.

A small part of me, the senseless side, begged me to retreat. I'd come to terms with the voice it had in my conscious. It was a constant reminder of past wrongs. I had no qualms with running, escaping as far as I could into isolation. That voice wanted me to remove all possibility of heartbreak. It was the part of me that, sadistically, wanted to hurt him before he could inevitably hurt me.