Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve
Elle's POV

I'd lost circulation – I was sure of it. Kaden's hand was wrapped around mine like a vice, so tight they were tremoring. His breathing was sharp and uneven. I noticed as I listened that he held his breath until he couldn't hold it any longer.

'It's okay,' I whispered, skimming the fingers of my free hand over his knuckles. 'Everything will be fine.'

I got no response, no indication that he had heard me. I slipped my fingers up his wrist, searching for a pulse – we didn't have time for him to go into cardiac arrest.

The touch rippled through him, and he blinked abruptly. His head jerked up and down in what was meant to be a friendly nod, but it was stiff and somewhat startling to those who passed.

Two pack members approached – Jacobi's parents – and Kaden's hand peeled away from mine. While he waited for Max and Belinda to come closer, I massaged my aching joints. Flexing my fingers behind my back, I let my mind mull over ways of distracting Kaden. He would self-combust if he kept going as he was.

Max nodded towards Leon. It was his last formal show of respect before Kaden pledged his loyalties as Alpha. Belinda stood before us, a spark of pride lighting her eyes as she bowed.

They would have noticed his nervousness by the shaking hand he offered to them, each with a welcoming touch to their shoulders. They didn't say anything. They only smiled wider and repeated the same blessing I had heard all morning.

'May the goddess of all we are, bless your promise and assist your time as Alpha. May she forever smile upon the Vermiculo pack.'

Like all the other times, Kaden cleared the lump from his throat with a terse cough. He reached for my hand in a blind panic, watching them wander into the woods, his fingers wrapping around mine tightly. 'I don't know if I can do this.'

It was only a whispered murmur, I wasn't even sure he had meant to say it aloud, but I returned the squeezing pressure of our grip. After another pack member came and passed, I turned into his arms. I tried a tentative smile, fluttering my fingers across his arm. 'You don't have to know because I know enough for the both of us.' I waited until his gaze dropped to mine, lifting a touch to his jaw. 'You'll be an amazing alpha, Kaden. I promise.'

I removed my hand, peppering a kiss to the space my hand had just vacated. I wanted to bundle him up and tell him over and over until he believed me. I needed him to know how special he was. But Kaden's eyes lifted, staring beyond my shoulder at another approaching guest.

It was my third-grade teacher. He had been Kaden's once too, but for kindergarten. Time had not been kind to him. Only eight years had passed since I'd last seen him, but the years were etched onto his skin, decades of memories pulling at his face.

He hobbled towards us, shaking like a breeze-blown leaf. The years had caught up to him, but that didn't stop the bright smile he offered Kaden. He had a gift. And as he offered Kaden a steadied hand, he found the words Kaden needed to hear.

'I remember the day you were born.' Mr Zucker beamed. 'Before the goddess had even blessed you, I looked down at you in your mother's arms and knew. That day, I told my dear Ida that you would be our next Alpha. I got the privilege of watching you grow into the man you are today, and I could not be more proud of the leader you've become.'

Kaden's expression faltered before hardening into something severe and stoic. He uncurled his shoulders, standing straighter than before. They shook hands, and it was no longer painful when Kaden reached for mine.

But as Kaden settled, I became suddenly restless.

I didn't know what it was, but I was suddenly itching to escape into the fray of people who crowded the clearing.