An Unpleasant Surprise

Cale's day already started badly. He just knew that something or someone will make it even worse.

Not only did he have to suffer through another round of his enemy liquid, but Raon and Hong also got his clothes dirty while playing with their abilities in a mock battle. How exactly he got hit with dirt while leisurely eating grapes at least a hundred meters away from the destructive duo is still a mystery.

Although, Choi Han's panicky expression was suspicious.

Cale changed his clothes and planned on eating a simple meal when his communication orb lightened up. That was not the problem, rather the caller who he exclusively marked with red- like many annoying things such as blood- didn't fit into Cale's relaxing mood.

Whenever crown prince Alver calls, problems will follow. Those two points are connected like Choi Han and bad acting.

Just as Cale was contemplating on ignoring the call, Raon appeared and took it up to himself to connect the orb. The little dragon flew down and sat next to Cale to greet the royal on the other end.

Alver Crossman was smiling.

It was his 'I-know-you-bastard-wanted-to-ignore-me-but-I'm-so-gracious-and-will-forgive-you'-smile combined with a regal tilt of his head. The royal was dressed in more fancy clothes than usual, which didn't sit well with Cale.

A fancy dressed Alver means that the man must have met some officials, and the only reason why he would call Cale directly after without changing first means the prince has work for him.

Is it too late to feign a bad connection?

Cale wasn't in the mood to shower Alver in flowery praises. Raon stayed silent as well as he sensed a rising tension.

The soon-to-be king sighed at his sworn brother after seeing the realization in Cale's eyes. That bastard is as sharp as ever. Before Cale could escape, Alver started explaining his surprise call with the intention to stop Cale from disconnecting the video feed.

"Cale, my cute dongsaeng. We haven't seen each other for a while. Why don't you visit your beloved hyung in the palace? We'll have a delicious meal as well.", he smiled at the deadpan red-head.

Cale flat out rejected him. Visiting Alver, at the royal's orders and not the kids random mood, means work. He's allergic to work, so Cale will have to decline. Before Cale could disconnect the call, he saw the sudden serious expression on Alver's face. 

That bad, huh?, Cale thought with a wince.

Holding back a sigh, Cale made himself comfortable and raised a brow at Alver, silently ordering him to continue his explanation.

"A few weeks ago, some ships were sent out to map unknown regions in the ocean. We simply wanted to classify the areas in the west of the Breck Kingdom. Normally, it wouldn't concern us but Crown Prince John came with a proposal which I agreed to. The ships went out in the sea and we were waiting for their responses.", Alver licked his dry lips.

Cale saw the dark circles under the spearman's eyes. Something bad must have happened.

"The ships never came back. Shorty before all connections were cut, however, one of my hidden Dark Elves was able to send a message."

Alver combed his messy hair back. An action he wouldn't dare in front of anyone but Cale. He leaned back while taking a sip of his cooling tea.

"The Dark Elf must still be alive as the Elemental didn't return, and I'm not too afraid for them. They can take care of themselves. What I fear more is another discovery.", his fake blue eyes stared at Cale through the display.