The Labyrinth (1)

Raon floated in front of Silvio, comically covering the sword user with his small body.

His wings fluttered gently, contrary to the animalistic snarl on his face as he glared at the monstrosity that arrived in front of them, cutting off their escape routes with their large body. A ghastly sight that was made even more disgusting by that warped smile on the creature's face.

He never met a creature like that. Throwing his senses out, Raon scanned the magical signature of the monster in front of him. It was weird. He could feel some resident mana, yet it wouldn't be enough for such a big body.

Even Tunka had more mana in his body and that man was mana-deaf on the same level as Bud's tone-deaf state concerning music.

Normally, Raon would simply accept that the being had no mana or the ability to utilize it, just like many normal citizens had. However, the fake voices and terrifyingly accurate sounds couldn't be faked without magic.

Raon was confused. He was also scared.

His human wasn't there. If his human were here, the bad monster would have already started begging for mercy while they looted him dry, slapping his back, and saving his siblings as well as Stupid Silvio.

Raon wanted his human. He hated being separated.

"Roasted lizards are quite tasty during this time of the year," the creature cooed, using its real voice for the first time. Even while floating, Raon had to crane his head upward. His opponent was over two meters tall and probably just as wide.

"Dongsaeng," Hong happily cheered. His tail flickered to the side, showcasing his excitement. Ohn was calmer than her sibling, even so, she couldn't hide the happy flicker of her ears as Raon pushed himself in front of them.

Silvio was the only one who was still completely out of the loop and somehow feeling even more lost every second that passed.

"Hi?" he hesitantly offered, "but can we skip the pleasantries since, you know, big bad enemy right in front of us?"

The creature waved its hand. "Don't hurry for me. Dying now or in ten minutes, honestly, what is the difference?"

"Thanks?" Silvio spluttered.

Ohn narrowed her eyes.

A look crossed her face that many of their group knew all too well since Cale tended to have that exact look on his face as well before he started the next shitshow. Even the way her furry eyebrows were lifted mirrored her guardian perfectly.

The creature gave them more time. It leaned to the side with its body still blocking the majority of the hallway. Just dashing past it wouldn't be possible.

Raon could blast his way through, undoubtedly so. His paws were inching to scare the mean creature away from his family. As mana gathered in his paws, illuminating his beautiful dark scales in bright gold, Ohn interfered.

"Not yet," she shook her head. Raon listened to his sister, extinguishing the attack.

The creature tilted its head.

"Not yet? What not yet, little appetizer?" Its decidedly male voice sounded curious. Ohn didn't pay the monster any mind. Her intelligent eyes swept over her companions' forms.

"We don't know how close we are to the volcano. Cale could be directly over us as well. If you blow up the narrow tunnel, everything could collapse." Her explanation was solid and Raon winced at the thought of accidentally harming his human. Hong bristled angrily.

Silvio's eyes were blown wide.

They were in a tricky situation with no way out. Darnall and the others were nowhere to be seen, although Silvio couldn't think of a way Darnall could save them anyway.