Velvet City (3)

Cale hummed in acknowledgment of Ron's words.

A small rabbit is following them? It was rather obvious who or what they were, so Cale didn't bother with them too much. If some guards have nothing better to do than stalk some visitors, who is he to tell them off? They can watch him all they want.

The rest of the day will be spent as actual visitors with no hidden intentions. Eating some food- that the guards will be jealous of-, watching some events- hey, at least their little stalker can also enjoy some street performances-, and finally, getting a drink or two- which the uninvited guest will have to suffer through as they probably won't join them, being on duty and all.

Ron and Vicross secured an inn for them to rest later on. It wasn't too late yet, and thanks to the begging of the kids, Cale decided to publicly explore first. Some helpful guards directed them toward the market area and while they didn't really need it, Cale and the others decided to follow.

Ron conveyed a message from Vicross. The chef made sure to get them an inn with three rooms and he will spend some time checking the rooms out as well as securing them.

(Ron and Vicross will share, while Eruhaben and Choi Han take the other side with Cale and the kids smooshed in the middle.)

That just left Cale with Ron, Choi Han, Eruhaben, and the invisible kids.

The city, as far as he could see so far, is really beautiful. It was like every house was artfully created to fit into the atmosphere.

Utterly fake but beautiful nonetheless.

Upon entering the market area, things became more real. Genuine emotions and laughter rang through the plaza. Systematically arranged cherry blossom trees surround the heart of the market in a circle with the market stands building smaller circles. The booths continue their end circular patterns till they surrounded a giant statue.

Hong gasped when he realized what the statue depicted. Choi Han couldn't hide a frown.

A heroic-looking man in regal robes with dozens of medals decorating an armored chest piece stood on top of smiling individuals that carried him in their hands, lifting his victorious self high into the air. The people below him held telltale signs of other racial origins.

Two people, a man and a woman, had long hair. Peeking behind their tresses were pointed ears, a clear indicator of elven heritage. Only the king or emperor was built with color while the rest of the figures were made out of common stone. Two other people, more beast than man, kneeled below the ruler's legs.

Cale was glad that he didn't take Lark with him. He felt like cursing when he didn't hear the children and couldn't spot them, thanks to magic. Uncertain of their emotional state and unable to verify, Cale didn't like that at all.

An unseen paw gently touched his shoulder and Cale sighed in relief.

The need to find the missing dark elves becomes far more urgent.

If this was what the people of this continent, or maybe just the country, will do to their- and with 'their' he means Rowoon's and not Torten's- dark elves, Cale fears what could have happened to them.

Cale and Ron exchanged gazes. It was clear that they needed to up their game.

Choi Han stood near the statue with clenched fists. An angry frown graced his face. The more he looked at the ugly mug of the so-called ruler the more he felt like committing collateral damage.

"Choi Han.", Cale called to gain his attention.

"Let's go and eat something." The knight agreed with a nod and they bought some steamed buns from a nearby vendor. After taking shelter in the outskirt of the market, Cale casually dropped some buns that disappeared before they hit the floor. He couldn't give them to the kids openly as a guard was still following them.