Mercenary Squad Avil (1)

'Of fucking course will bandits appear', Cale thought with a prominent frown on his face. He didn't even try to get up, still in denial and just wishing that Silvio and his group would get rid of them before they could grace Cale's vision. If any of them show their faces to Cale, he will sick Choi Han on them. Consequences be damned.

Choi Han was looking out of the window with a nostalgic expression on his face. His right hand was carefully placed on the sheath of his sword, ready to draw it if danger approaches. The kids were still hidden by magic, although, Hong tried his best to threateningly meow at the window in hopes of discouraging the enemies from approaching any further. Beacrox glared in the general direction where screams started interrupting the peaceful atmosphere. His father, Ron, smiled benignly, an action that scared Cale more than some wimpy bandits.

Eruhaben sipped his tea.

Sigh.

"Ahhhhh!"

Bang. Crash.

Choi Han looked outside and started relaying the situation. Cale was actually curious about the combat potential of Silvio and his mercenary squad. The situation with the bandits wasn't actually so bad, it gives Cale the chance to evaluate his temporary travel companions. Choi Han saw the curious glint in Cale's eyes and made some space so that both of them could look at the one-sided massacre outside.

The bandits never stood a chance.

Silvio danced between the rough bandits, his body gracefully twisting and turning while guiding his longer-than-average blade across and through the enemies' bodies. It was a beautiful steel katana with a few chipped edges but mostly well-cared for. For Choi Han's trained eyes, the blade isn't the best and average at most. Quality-wise, at least. The force the slim blade needs to cut through enemies like Silvio does with seemingly ease is not small. Rowoon's resident swordmaster also recognizes the soft expression Silvio displayed earlier.

The sword had some emotional value for the sword user.

It was something Choi Han can relate to, his hand automatically found his own blade, filled with precious and bitter memories. Blinking to gain his focus back, Choi Han watched the rest of Silvio's mercenary squad.

Rowan and Finn aren't bad but couldn't even reach the level of Hilsman's ability or strength. Cale's Vice-Captain has solid techniques taught by trained soldiers while the two mercenaries are mostly self-taught. Glaring holes in their attacks, as well as defense, make the Korean flinch.

Surprisingly, Darnall was a mage. Their earlier speculations were proven right.

A good one at that.

The man used a small staff to eliminate clusters of bandits. His fireballs and ice spears soon left corpses on the grassy floor. Roshi stood next to the leader of the merchant group as the last line of defense. The cheerful man took a casual stance with his wide sword ready to be drawn at any second.

While the squad wasn't the strongest, at least compared to Cale's standards which maybe shouldn't be used in the first place. They worked together like a well-oiled machine. No words were exchanged before they took their positions. Just like Cale's group knows what to do.

(Cale's group has another set of rules that the redhead isn't aware of:

Unofficial rule number one: End the enemies before Cale takes action. Cale-nim is not allowed to cough up blood.

Unofficial rule number two: If Cale acts and bleeds, enemies must pay the prize twentyfold.

Unofficial rule number three: Keep Cale away from any items that could be used for self-harm such as sticks or daggers. )