The Elves Did What? (2)

Lush bushes, full trees, and hundreds of blooming flowers were surrounding a cozy village. Rabbits and various other animals crossed their path while they tracked through the muddy road toward what could amount to the main building in the area.

Some body parts litter the floor, although, Cale didn't pay them any mind as most of them were still twitching and seemed to be attached to a living human. They had a party or something the day prior. Cale certainly won't complain. It makes things easier for him.

(The impromptu party was Cale's idea after all.

Yesterday, after the meeting with the princess, he had Ron and Eruhaben deliver bottles of alcohol to the village under an anonymous donation and the villagers didn't disappoint. As for where the bottles came from. Cale got them from the truly benevolent slave traders they encountered previously.

How gracious of them to donate so many things.

He is oh-so grateful.)

Cale sneezed after a more energic gust of wind blew some pollen into his face.

This was not Velvet nor was it a ward of the massive capital. It was a few hours off with no notable attraction nor any important location to validate Cale's visit normally. Yet he went there anyways as this is the village the dark elves dropped the princess off before running away again.

He isn't sure whether they have left anything of value but it was worth a try. Cale won't bother investigating the castle and the area where the dark elves were held as the noble doubted that the dark elves would be foolish enough to leave evidence behind in notable enemy territory. No, they certainly won't. Unintentionally, that is.

Also, breaking into castles and leaving them not in their original state had been done before. Cale sacrificed a second of his attention to pay homage to past adventures, some of which he wasn't even part of.

The idiot trio and their archduke renovation plans. They did the man a favor. His manor was clearly built upon unfitting ground and they did the demolition work free of charge. How generous.

The situation with Askosan and Norland during the war. What did Rosalyn call it? Carrot-and-stick-method?

(Cale approved.)

Even the Sekka Estate in Paerun should by now be acquainted quite well with things suddenly, accidentally, completely mysteriously, and unexplainably collapsing out of nowhere. Naturally, without external influences. Like he said... accidentally.

A shame, really.

Moving on.

The Torten Palace won't give him anything worthy of note. The village with gossipy inhabitants may be a different story. Even more so if their inhibitions have been lowered thanks to copious amounts of alcohol. Choi Han wrinkled his note at the prominent stench of cheap alcohol that polluted the air. Cale agreed, why couldn't they have at least used better-quality alcohol and not the disgusting kind?

The slave traders had a bad taste in beverages and Cale felt like he did a good job of saving them from alcohol poisoning thanks to lesser quality alcohol. Disgraceful way to go.

Alver mentioned that a squad of a dozen dark elves had been sent out to investigate. A group of this size should attract attention if everyone was still alive. While the dark elves were more than capable of staying hidden, Cale had the feeling that they will leave some traces behind.

He frowned.

The dark elves couldn't take their elementals with them, which was why Alver had no way of contacting them. Eruhaben noted some kind of barrier when they passed into the waters of the new continent. This place had been intentionally isolated. Why and how didn't matter to Cale.