This Looks Like It Could Hurt (2)

Choi Han looked at the stone in his hands, throwing it from one to another. A thoughtful frown graced his face, while he continued playing with the rock.

They crossed Shipperman's Wreck two days ago and, at this point, reached the highest point in their travels. The view was astonishing. Choi Han couldn't remember the last time he was this high up without needing to fight anyone.

(Or, alternatively, kidnap a king and cheerfully drag him off on top of a volcano that housed another criminal empire.

The view must have been great as well, Choi Han just couldn't really appreciate it.)

The carriage wobbled dangerously and he was glad - not for the first time - that Eruhaben and Raon were with them. Should the carriage tilt, Choi Han was sure that they wouldn't fall off the mountain and die a gruesome death.

They were on their way down now and the snow started to make way for various wildflowers.

A sneeze next to him interrupted his peaceful thoughts.

The young boy of the scammer-amateur-duo caught a cold and had a pitiful red nose and glassy eyes. Vicross and Ron put various herbs into the stew to help him fight off the cold. While their group didn't like the mother-son combo, they weren't mean enough to let the child fend for himself.

Choi Han tossed the stone once more.

They will soon arrive at the foot of the mountain. A few hours at maximum, one of the guards told them. Anqua was beautiful with its giant, lush fields and coastal areas. They caught glimpses of the land from on top of the mountain pass.

He sighed tiredly.

As beautiful as this was, he wanted to go home. A few weeks passed since they first arrived in these lands. He missed the Rowoon Kingdom with Alver scolding Cale about not doing his paperwork, Lark cheerfully running circles around him while he and his siblings trained on the grounds, and Choi Han even missed fighting in the kitchen with Vicross, the latter trying to have him banned from creating a mess on his holy ground.

Mess up a Korean dish one time and nobody will ever forgive him. Choi Han internally complained. So, what if the stove caught on fire? That happens all the time. Sure, it was a bit annoying that the pot melted, covering and ruining a part of the kitchen floor in the process, but really, it wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be.

(Cale still had nightmares from Choi Han's cooking.

He swore that the black mass inside the burned pot was moving even though it cooled down already. The melted floor was more than concerning as well since the mass didn't just damage a part of the floor but melted through all layers, dripping into the room below.

Rosalyn took a part of the ...dish to analyze its components and she couldn't tell anyone what Choi Han used to create that monstrosity.)

The stone slipped out of his hands.

With a soft plop, it landed in front of Cale's feet. His questioningly raised brow was met with a dismissive wave from Choi Han.

Now wasn't the time to reminisce about the past.

Their hopefully last destination was upon them. Things were as peaceful as it gets. No foolish bandits running around. No earthquakes or landslides. And even the scammers were quiet. The tongue-lashing combination of Cale and the old lady scared the duo.

Ah, the old lady.

Choi Han made a face and shifted his gaze to look at an exasperated Cale, who had the unfortunate honor of being her seat neighbor. The old lady valiantly ignored Cale's dismissive humming as well as his short answers. It was kind of amazing.