Chapter 4

"Oh my god, I can't believe we're actually touring with them, The Academy Is.", Joe gushes.

Their music was a little odd, but it was good, it was really good. Like William had promised, their manager did in fact call them (although she could've waited till a more decent hour. It was fucking five o'clock in the morning when they got woken up to a loud shrill noise in their cramped van) and they decided that they would get a week to get ready, and join the band next Friday.

"I'm buying pizza to celebrate.", Pete says, pulling up to the shitty local pizza diner that held many fond memories. This was where the legendary 'Fall Out Boy' came to be. They all squish into the booth at the very back of the restaurant. Petes' hand was on Patrick's knee, drawing circles on them. He's eyeing Patrick carefully. This is his favorite place to eat, but he's taking small, careful bites. By the time they're done with their two pizzas, Pete notices that there was still half of Patrick's first slice left on his plate, the boy looking so far away.

Joe stretches, letting out a yawn.

"I'm fucking tired. We should get as much rest as we can before the tour. It'll be our first big one."

They all nod in agreement and shuffle out of the diner. It's a familiar ride home, and it feels nice, sort of, Pete thinks. He doesn't have to count to know when the line of trees stop, and he doesn't have to read the street names to know when to turn. It's all automatic, he's on autopilot. And he hates giving this all up.

When he turns, his hand falls onto Patrick's lap. It's warm under his fingers, and Patrick doesn't flinch anymore, not when Pete touches him.

"You're familiar. I like your hands.", he recalls Patrick saying this to him one night, a long time ago.

Patrick is familiar to him too. He knows how he curls into him at night. He knows just where to kiss him to make him feel alright. And he thinks about how he can't wait to get out of this town either.

Home is where the heart is, and as long as Patrick's with him, it doesn't matter where they go. And maybe he's blowing this out of the water, they're only going to be gone for two months, but he has a feeling. He can't really place what the feeling is, but he knows that maybe this it. He's scared that if he leaves, finally gets a chance to make it out there, he won't want to come back. And he doesn't know why he's so scared of that.