Chapter 8

They rush to the airport, bags in their hands and hanging off of their shoulders. Honestly, they only had a small duffel bag worth of clothes, everything else was music and stage equipment. Those things weren't small, or easy to carry at all. Luckily, the guys in The Academy said they were happy to lend some equipment.

Patrick thanks God himself for this.

They barely make it to the gate on time, thanks to stupid airport security, and when they finally sit down, they all let out a sigh in unison.

"Is this what it's going to be like for the next ten, fifteen, however many years?", Patrick says, letting his head fall back against the seat. He rubs his eyes, and Pete can see dark circles peaking through.

He knows Patrick will be alright, he just doesn't know when. Patrick didn't sleep at all last night. He kept hearing him sigh, and shifting around.

"Nope. Next time, we're going to be in a private jet flying to Japan."

Patrick chuckles, setting his hand on Pete's. They fit together and Patrick turns to lean on his shoulder.

*

Joe stretches and lets out a yawn as Pete grabs the last bag on the conveyor belt. He drags it over and throws it at Joe, knocking him off balance, causing both Patrick and Andy to let out low, tired laughs.

Joe glares at the both of them, and Andy sticks his tongue out mockingly.

"God, I don't even like you guys.", Joe says with an exasperated sigh.

Their feet are practically dragging across the floor as they walk to the pick up area. Academy's manager is picking them up and dropping them off at some cheap car dealership so that they can rent a van.

They scan the crowd of people, looking for someone holding a sign, and sure enough, there was the women with a white board and a messy Fall Out Boy scrawled across it in black marker.

"I've always wanted to know what it felt like to get picked up at an airport with someone holding your name on a white board.", Pete whispers into Patrick's ears, leaning on him slightly.

Patrick giggles, making Pete's heart stop for a moment.

"Yeah? And how does it feel?"

"Well, considering the fact that we're not going to be taken to a five star hotel where some famous rock star over dosed in, and instead being taken to rent a shitty van...not that grand, but still pretty great."

The manager, which the four of them finally figured out that her name is Christy, helped with lugging some of the bags into the car.

"So here's Will's address. Go to his place, and you guys set out together tomorrow morning.", she says, handing them a slip of paper with the address written in the same, messy hand writing.

"I probably won't see you for a week or so, good luck!.", she says, getting back into her car.

They wave goodbye, and start loading the van up.

It takes them thirty minutes to find Will's house, which apparently was only a ten minute drive from the car rental place.

"So I have three spare rooms so...one of you guys can take the couch?", William says when they get settled in.

Pete awkwardly looks around. It wasn't a very public thing that he was gay for the lead singer of his band, and they had no idea how Will would take it either. He doesn't really seem like the kinda guy to be homophobic, right?

"Um, actually, three rooms is perfect.", Pete says.

Patrick looks at him, his mouth open a little.

Well fuck it, Pete thinks. They're going to be on tour together for a couple of months, they're bound to find out sooner or later.

"Um, Patrick and I are kinda...ugh..."

"Oh, well that's great then, I thought I would have to blow up an air mattress. I didn't really want to do that, it's a pain in the ass."

Patrick's shoulders drop, and he let's out a sigh. He doesn't really have many good experiences with coming out. Just thinking about it makes him cringe.

Pete grabs his hand, giving him a reassuring squeeze.

*

They greet the rest of the other band in the morning, and after double, and then triple checking everything was packed and set, they left L.A.

Pete took the first shift of driving with Patrick in the front, Andy and Joe in the back. Joe had his head on Andy's lap because he said he honestly hadn't gotten any sleep all night, pre-concert nerves or something.

"Do you know where the first stop is at?", Patrick asks.

"We're heading to Pomona, and then going to San Diego, and I think a few small shows around there, then Las Vegas."

Patrick perks up like Pete expected.

"Las Vegas?", he says excitedly.

Pete nods, a small smile on his face.

"How long are we staying there?"

Pete's smile fades a little, "Only a day, but I already talked to Andy and Joe, and we'll take care of everything before the show. You'll have enough time to say hi to Brendon."

"You're the best boyfriend.", Patrick says, settling back down in his seat.

"I know."