CHAPTER ONE: NO PLACE LIKE HAWKINS

CHAPTER ONE: NO PLACE LIKE HAWKINSORthe disappearance of will byers (part one)

OR
the disappearance of will byers
(part one)

[[

Hawkins, Indiana had never been special, not to Lily Whitlock anyways. She hated the small-town atmosphere, always had. And moving from New York to Indiana had made it even worse.

"Lily!" A shrill voice cut through the music blasting in her ears. Lindsey Buckingham's voice cut off right before the chorus as Lily ripped the headphones off her ears. She was met with Amber Jones, her partner in crime and best friend since she had moved here nine years ago. Although that hadn't been the case lately.

"Good morning." Amber chirped, leaning against the closest locker. Lily narrowed her eyes and pointed at her friend. "Why are you so happy this morning?" The blonde girl let out a nervous chuckle. "That's rude, Lily. I am always happy!" Lily rolled her eyes. "Bullshit. Something happened last night after the party, let's hear it."

Amber's façade dropped immediately as she directed her giddy grin towards the shorter girl. "Caught. So, I may or may not have baggeddylanlastnightandwokeupinhisbedtoday." Very few things made Lily's eyes pop out of her head, but her best friend finally hooking up with the guy she had been pining after since seventh grade was one of them.

"You what?!" Amber's hand clamped down on Lily's mouth to shush her. "Keep your voice down! I'd rather not let all of Hawkins know." Lily squirmed away from Amber with a gasp. "I can NOT believe this." But remembering how Amber had shushed her moments before, she brought her voice down to repeat it. "I cannot believe this. Amber this is mega huge!"

Amber's grin appeared back on her face. "I know."

"Is that a smile on your face, Whitlock?" A brown-haired boy called out as he passed the pair of girls. "Shut the hell up Harrington!"

Lily and Steve had an odd relationship. They had known each other for most of their lives but always from a distance. And they didn't hate each other enough to call the other an enemy, but Lily could not stand Steve Harrington. She couldn't stand his stupid hair gel and his arrogant walk. Or his jokes. Or his friends. Or his-

"Okay fighter, he's gone you can stop the insults in your head." Lily looked back to Amber. "I was not insulting him in my head." Amber nodded sarcastically. "Yeah, anyways. I'm going to class, but I'll see you tonight for movie night?" She nods back. "See you!"

The bell rings ending their conversation. Time for hell.

[[

"He normally bikes to school every morning and afternoon so you shouldn't have to worry about picking him up. Unless that becomes a problem then you can drive him."

Ms. Henderson had repeated herself probably seven times by now, but Lily didn't mind.

"Yes, ma'am sounds good, anything else you can think of?" Dustin gave Lily a look as if to say, why the hell won't you just make her stop talking. She chuckled as Ms. Henderson looked around again. "I do believe that's all. I told him to be good for you, you'll be good right Dusty?" Dustin Henderson nodded his head with an exasperated look. Lily understood though, his mom did not stop talking.

"Thank you so much again Lily for staying with him last minute. It means the world." The brown hair girl gave a smile in return.

"Okay, Mom you can leave now." Dustin told his mother, trying to push her out the door. Ms. Henderson gave Dustin another hug and finally, finally walked out the door.

Dustin turned back around with a triumphant smile. "Hi Lily!" he grinned, showing gums because his teeth were still making their way back. Lily chuckled. "Hi Dustin." The boy continued staring at Lily like she was a prize he had won at an arcade. Which in truth, this was how all of Dustin's friends looked at her, Dustin had just been less ashamed about it.

"Do you need a ride to school?" Dustin seemed to think about it for a moment, if he rode to school with Lily he would have a leg up on his friends, but if he biked, he could go to Mike's after. "No, I'll bike. See you tonight?" Lily nodded as the phone started ringing.

"Hello?" She said as she held the phone to her ear. "Hey, it's Joyce, wait did I call the wrong house? Who is this?" "Ms. Byers? This is Lily, I'm staying with Dustin for a few days." "Lily! Hi, by any chance is Will there?" Lily frowned. "No ma'am, I just got here, but I could ask Dustin."

Dustin perked up at the mention of his name. "Have you seen Will recently?" Lily asked him, pulling the phone away from her ear. Dustin's eyebrows furrowed. "I saw him last night, he biked with me all the way home from Mike's then went towards his house." Lily repeated what he had said back to Ms. Byers.

"He biked home?" Lily nodded although she couldn't see her. "From what Dustin said. Is everything okay?" "Are you- Never mind actually I think he must have left for school early. Thank you, Lily!" The phone hung up before she could say anything else. "Huh that was weird." Lily said with a frown to Dustin. Dustin shrugged in response. "I'm sure he's at school. Catch you later!" And then he was gone.

[[

'"We just made out a couple of times.' Nance seriously! You're gonna be so cool now, it's ridiculous." Barb told Nancy as they leaned against the lockers.

Lily could only stand there with her mouth open. "Hold on, back up. You made out with Harrington, as in, Steve Harrington? Nancy, what?!"

Nancy, Lily, and Barb were an odd trio, unexpected to say the least. It had all started a few months ago when Amber decided to ditch Lily for a guy one too many times, and somehow her friendship with Nancy and Barb, just worked.

Nancy let out a groan. "Guys please give it a rest. I'm not going to be." "You better hang out with us still." Barb told her, pointing a finger. Lily huffed. "If you become friends with Tommy H. or Carol, I swear-" Nancy held up her hands. "Oh, that is just gross. I'm telling you it was a one-time thing!" Lily and Barb's eyebrows rose. "Okay, two-time thing."

"Yeah?" Lily snatched the note from inside Nancy's locker. Meet me in bathroom -Steve. "You were saying?"

[[

authors note!!

hi guys! it's been a long time since I've posted a story on here but I'm so super excited about this one. this isn't the greatest chapter but it's kinda just to show you Lily's dynamic with everyone. just vote and comment and let me know how you're feeling! see you soon!