CHAPTER THIRTEEN: NANCY WHEELER THE ACTRESS

A SHRILL RINGING NOISE WOKE LILY UP  FROM HER SLEEP. She sat up quickly on the couch and jumped up when she realized who she had fallen asleep beside. The events of last night flashed into her mind and she followed the ringing to the phone with a groan.

"Hello?" "Lily. Hey, it's Nancy, and Jonathan. Got any plans today?" Lily glanced back to see Steve still sprawled across the couch. "Nope." She told them.

"Ok, great, we think we've got some ideas about this monster. And we're going to kill it." "What?!" Lily exclaimed but scared she might have woken Steve she quieted down. "What?" "Look, I can't explain over the phone but how quick do you think you could get to my place?" Lily let out a sigh.

"I'll see you in thirty."

[[

            The three teens split their separate ways in the store all searching for weapons of their own. Lily had left a note for Steve before heading off to Nancys where her two friends proceeded to tell her they thought the monster was attracted by blood. It made as good of sense as any to Lily, so she agreed with their plans. Lily picked up a garden hoe with one side as the hoe and the other with three pointy prongs on it. Perfect. They laid everything on the counter.

"And I need four boxes of the .38's." Jonathan told the man. He frowned. "What are you kids doing with all this stuff?" While the other two hesitated, Lily shrugged.

"Murdering my ex-boyfriend."

The man's eyebrows shot up but he started ringing their things up. Nancy shot her a look but Lily just shrugged.

"Seriously Lily?" Nancy asked once they had successfully stepped outside with their things. She smirked. "What? He knew I was joking!" Jonathan laughed. "With your look, he probably didn't." She gave him a hard smack on the chest as Nancy sighed.

"You know, last week I was shopping for a top Steve might like. It took me, Lily, and Barb the whole weekend." Lily scoffed. She remembered that weekend well, and how she wanted to slap Nancy by the end of it. "It seemed like life or death; you know? And now..."

"Now you're shopping for bear traps with Jonathan Byers." He finished for her.  "Yeah." "What's the weirdest part?" Lily snorted. "You, always you." Before he could shove her, Reed, a boy from their school leaned out of a passing car.

"Hey, Nance! Can't wait to see your new movie!" Him and his friends busted into laughter as they sped off. "What the hell was that?" "I don't know." Jonathan replied. Lily looked at Nancy and it was like they had the same idea at the same time.

The girls took off as Jonathan called after them. "Hey! Where are you guys going?" After realizing had no choice but to follow, he took off after them.

"Shit." Lily said once they had come to a stop. Painted high up on the theatre sign was 'All the Right Moves starring Nancy the slut Wheeler.' Lily felt anger flame into her body as they stood there. Laughter rang out in the alleyway and the two of them followed the sound.

"Oh, hey princess!" Tommy called to Nancy as she stalked down the alley. Lily walked to Steve and slapped him as hard as she could muster. Nancy crossed her arms as the two girls stood beside each other.

"What is wrong with you?!" Steve rubbed his cheek and looked at Nancy like she was crazy. "What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you! I was worried about you. I cannot believe I was worried about you." He scoffed. Nancy frowned. "What are you talking about?" But Lily knew exactly what all this was about. She couldn't believe Steve had gone this far. Carol laughed.

"I wouldn't lie if I were you. You don't want to be the lying slut now do you?" Lily took a step closer to the girl, causing her to stumble behind Tommy in fear Lily would slap her too.

"Speak of the devil." Steve said as Jonathan came up behind them. Nancy sighed. "You came by last night." She finally understood. "Ding, ding, ding!" Carol called, peaking around Tommy. "Does she get a prize?"

"Look, I don't know what you think you saw, but it wasn't like that." "What? Were you just letting him into your room to...study?" "Or maybe for another one of those pervy photo sessions?" Tommy butted in. "Shut the hell up Tommy." "Yeah? Make me Lily."

Nancy sighed. "We were just-" "What? Finish that sentence." Steve told her, taking a step closer. "Finish that sentence." When Nancy didn't say anything, he took a step back. "Go to hell, Nancy."

Nancy recoiled as if she had been slapped, why couldn't Steve just believe her? "Come on, Nancy, Lily, let's just leave." Jonathan said, finally getting the two girls to follow him.

"You know what Byers? I'm actually kind of impressed." Steve called as the three began to walk away. "I always just took you for a queer, but I guess you're just a screw up like your father." Jonathan tensed up and Lily urged him to keep walking. "Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. That house is full of screw ups. Yeah, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, with all the screw ups in your family." Jonathan turned back at that one.

"Jonathan just leave it." Nancy begged, but if Jonathan was wanting to strike back at Steve, Lily absolutely wanted too as well. "I mean, your mom..." At that Lily ran towards Steve, launching herself towards his middle, knocking him onto the ground as hard as she could, landing on top of him. He let out a groan with the little breath he had in him. "What the hell is wrong with you?" She muttered quiet enough where only he could hear. Because he had been acting completely different last night.

Before he could respond Lily was pulled off by Tommy. Steve stood back up, deciding to finish his sentence from earlier. "And, you know. I'm not even surprised what happened to your brother." "Steve, shut up!" Nancy yelled, trying to figure out where this part of him had come from. But he didn't stop there. "I'm sorry I have to be the one to tell you this, but the Byers family is a disgrace to the entire-" Before he could finish his sentence Jonathan reared back, punching him in the jaw. Lily tried to pull away, but Tommy held her tightly.

Steve and Jonathan kept going back and forth, punching the hell out of each other. "Steve!" Nancy yelled, trying to break up the fight. Lily kept wiggling around, trying to get away from Tommy. "Let go of me you son of a bitch!" She finally pulled her knee up, hitting him right in the spot he loved the most, instantly making him double over.

"Stop, Steve! Both of you!" Nancy tried to pull the two apart. Carol shoved Tommy, who was still trying to comfort himself. "Get in there, make them stop!" The two kept going, ignoring their friends' pleas.

"Cops!" Tommy shouted and began taking off. "Guys!" Lily yelled, physically trying to separate them. However, she was thrown back as the cops came in and fell on her butt. "Rude!" She exclaimed as Nancy helped her up.

"My nose!" Callahan, one of the officers said, stumbling back. Steve finally moved back and took off after his friends. "Hey! You little shit, get back here!" Powell yelled. The two cops looked back to the three teens that still stood in front of them. "You three. Come with me."