CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: SANTA WOULD RATHER HAVE VODKA

LILY LEANED HER HEAD AGAINST THE WALL, TRYING TO MAKE HERSELF COMFORTABLE IN THE HOSPITAL CHAIR. She hated being back at this place, the last time she sat here her mother had overdosed. It seemed like every part of this town just reminded her how screwed up her family was.

"You, ok?" Steve asked from beside her. She gave him a small smile. "I'm alright, you?" He blew a breath out. "I am just so confused." Lily chuckled. "I bet." Steve sighed, resting his arm on the rest between them. He was so close Lily could smell the cologne he used.

"So, you talked to Nancy?" She asked him. He nodded. "Yeah, yeah. We've still got a lot to talk about but I apologized to her, and Jonathan too." Lily smiled. "That's good."

"What about us, Whitlock?" "What about us?" "Are we good?" She gave his arm a pat.

"Yeah, Harrington, we're good."

ONE MONTH LATER

Lily sunk into the Wheeler's couch as Ted Wheeler gave her an odd look. "You're not one of my kids." Lily chuckled, knowing Ted found today as an excuse to keep throwing back eggnog. "No, I'm not. But your wife invited me." He nods like it makes sense, but it definitely didn't.

It had officially been a month since they had defeated the demogorgon, the boy's' word, and returned Hawkins back to normal. Steve sat down beside her and smoothed his hands down his jeans. "Merry Christmas, Whitlock." He said, handing her a small package. She frowned up at him. "Nope, we did not talk about gifts, I didn't get you anything." She protested. He rolled his eyes, pushing it into her hands. "It's not really a gift, just a nod to our new friendship." Lily shook her head with a silent laugh.

"Just open it in your car." She nodded and slipped it in her purse. Nancy sat on the other side of Lily and gave them both a smile. "I gave it to him." Steve and Lily smiled back. They had all three pitched in to buy Jonathan a new camera.

Lily stood up, leaning to give the two a quick hug. "I better go, thank you for the invite." Nancy frowned. "Already?" She nodded. "I need to get back to my mom at least for a little while." Steve grabbed Lily's arm, stopping her for a moment. "Be careful." He told her, being one of the only ones who knew about her situation. She gave him a final nod and said her goodbyes, making her way into the cold.

Sliding into her car, she turned the heat up and pulled Steve's present into her lap. Unwrapping the paper she pulled out a small bottle of vodka and a note.

For anytime that you need to talk, let's break open the bottle and spend the night talking about our shity families. To a new friendship -Steve.

Lily felt tears welling in her eyes and laughed. After going through hell and back, the one thing she thought would never happen would be her friendship with Steve. She just hoped it all stayed normal.

A nice quiet senior year...

AUTHORS NOTE:
AYO SEASON ONE IS DONEEE, i had a lot of fun writing this, even if like no one's read it, and i'm definitely continuing. see you for season 2?? comment your favorite part from season one...go!