CHAPTER TEN: A DATE WITH A DEMOGORGON

LILY HATED FUNERALS. She hated dressing in all black. She hated standing in front of a lifeless body and spilling tears. She hated the pastor assuring everyone everything was fine, and she hated watching the sadness in everyone's eyes.

When Lily turned six, she planned her own funeral. She decided that everyone would wear royal blue, her favorite color at the moment, and everyone would eat her favorite candy. No one would cry at her funeral, instead they shout and cheer and just be like, "I love Lily!" It sounded a good as a plan as any, but why was a six-year-old anticipating her funeral?

At six years old Lily had decided one thing, that the world was a very very cruel place. And that in the six years she had been a part of it, she just wanted to leave.

"Are you ready?" Dustin asked her, peaking into the guest room. Lily was on the floor, leaning back against her bed, a wild look upon her face. "Uh, yeah! I am." She finally got up and looked to Dustin. To her, he looked completely fine and not at all like he was attending his best friend's funeral. "How are you holding up?"

Dustin looked almost surprised that she had asked that question. "Me? Oh, I'm great!" He flashed her a smile but immediately backpedaled when he saw the confused look she gave him. "Did I say great? I mean awful! Ha, yep, I am having a shitty time right now. Ah!"

Lily knew he must have been hurting and she felt the truth clawing its way up her throat. It's not really the truth, Lily. You don't know that Will's alive. She rested her hand on Dustin's shoulder. "If you need to talk, I'm here." He gave her another smile desperately wishing he could tell her what he really knew that Will was alive. But then she'd just think he was grieving and now wasn't the time to convince anyone of what was or wasn't true. "Thanks, Lily."

[[

Lily held the map of Hawkins out in front of her. "This is where we know it's for sure been, right?" She gestured to then red X's on the paper. Jonathan and Nancy were on both sides of her. "Yeah, this is Steve's house." Nancy pointed out first. Lily laid her finger on another spot. "And that's the woods where I saw Will's bike and that's-" "My house." Jonathan finished. "Its all so close." Nancy shook her head in wonder. Which meant the monster was only confined to a certain are.

"Yeah, exactly." Lily said, a lightbulb moment hitting her. "It's all within a mile or something so whatever this thing is, it's not traveling far." Nancy stepped back and looked around, trying to ignore the watchful eyes of parents. Oh god, Lily knew exactly what she was thinking.

"You want to go after it?!" Nancy shrugged nonchalantly, or tried to. "We might not find anything." Jonathan tells them. Lily folded the map up and tossed it into Jonathan's car. "But Nancy did." Jonathan shook his head. "And if we find it, then what?" "We kill that son of a bitch." Lily said, her face stony. If this thing had taken not only Will but Barb to, they had no other choice. Nancy opened Jonathan's car door and started fumbling around.