CHAPTER FOURTEEN: ONLY LOVE MAKES YOU THAT CRAZY

"HOW LONG ARE YOU GOING TO KEEP US HERE?" Lily asked the secretary. She had been in this station enough to last a lifetime; she didn't want to be here any longer. The woman smiled at her. "You two girls probably can leave soon. Him, I'm not sure." Lily groaned, leaning on the wall. "He assaulted a police officer. You should know what this is like."

Nancy gave her an odd look as Lily's heart sunk. She remembered being here waiting on her brother many times. And now? He was nowhere to be found. "Well, how long are you going to keep him?" Nancy asked, pulling Lily from her thoughts. The woman chuckled.

"You and your boyfriend got big plans, do you?" Nancy rolled her eyes. "He's not my boyfriend." "Better tell him that." Nancy frowned. "What?"

"Only love makes you that crazy, sweetheart. And that damn stupid."

Lily looked between her two friends. She remembered teasing Jonathan about liking Nancy, and maybe, just maybe she was right. Nancy trailed back to Jonathan, handing him a bag of ice. Lily leaned against the door frame watching them interact. Yeah, Steve was way out of line, but did he have a point?

"Jonathan! Jesus what happened?" Joyce Byers exclaimed as she ran into the police station, Jim Hopper following her closely. Lily made her way back to the group and stood beside Hopper. He sent a quick smile before they turned to face Joyce.

"Why is he wearing handcuffs?" "Well, your boy assaulted a police officer." Callahan said. "That's why." "Take them off!" "I'm afraid I can't do that." "Take them off!" Hopper sighed.

"You heard her, take them off." "Chief, I know everyone's a bit emotional here, but there's something you need to see." The officer slammed a box onto the desk which was full of everything the three teens had bought earlier. Lily froze, they were so screwed.

"What is this?" Joyce asked, confused on how this was relevant to the situation. Callahan shrugged. "Ask your son, we found it in his car."

"Why were you going through my car!" Jonathan exclaimed. Hopper shot him a look. "Is that really the question you should be asking right now? I wanna see all three of you in my office."

Lily crossed her arms. "You won't believe us." Hopper thought about all he had seen today, and everything that had happened since Will's disappearance. "Why don't you give me a try?"

[[

            "You say blood draws this thing?" Hopper asked as he looked at the two teens in front of him. Nancy shrugged. "We're not sure. It's just a theory." Jonathan and Joyce were in the hallway, her scolding loud enough to discern every few seconds. Lily looked up at him. "So, you believe us? That it's real?" Hopper sighed. "I've seen a lot of shit the past few days, so why not believe this too?"

"Ma'am I need you to calm down!" Callahan told the woman in front of him. Hopper looked up before nodding at the girls. "Come on." They followed him out of the office and came to a stop in the main room. "What the hell is going on out here?" "Chief..." "These men are humiliating my son!" A woman said, resting her hands on the boy's shoulders. His arm was in a sling, and he looked as if he had been crying.

Callahan held up his hands. "No, no, no. That's not true!" "Yes!" He turned back to Hopper. "There was some kind of fight, Chief-" "A psychotic child broke his arm!" "A little girl, Chief, a little one." "That tone! Do you hear that tone?"

Hopper grabbed his hat and began to walk away. "I don't have time for this. Will you please take a statement?" Callahan agreed. "Ok, this girl, what'd she look like?" "She had no hair and was bleeding from her nose." The woman told him, and Lily froze in her spot.

It couldn't be...yep it absolutely had to be.

"Like a freak!" Hopper turned back around, just as bothered as Lily had been. "What'd you say?" "I said she's a freak!" The boy said again, scrunching his face up in disgust. "No, about her hair. What'd you say about her hair?" "Her head's shaved, she doesn't even look like a girl. And..." The woman nudged her son. "Go on, tell the man Troy." He looked at the ground. "She can...do things?" "What kind of things?" Hopper urged him to continue. "Like make you fly...and...piss yourself."

"What?" Callahan said but was cut off by Hopper. "Was she alone?" The boy shook his head. "She always hangs out with those losers." "What losers?" The boy, Troy, pointed at Nancy. "Her brother and his stupid friends." This time Hopper actually turned to leave.

"Come on." He gestured to the three teens and Joyce. We've gotta go."