𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄. 𝐛𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐛𝐨𝐲

❛ BOOK BOY ❜

BOOK BOY

❁ ❁ ❁

"I never should've lied to you. I just didn't want-" he looked down at his shaky hands. "You didn't want to what? Hurt me? Make me feel bad?" She blurted. "I wouldn't have gotten hurt. I would've understood. I knew you liked Aubrey before." Conrad bit his lip.

"Aubrey and I-"
"I'm back!"

Conrad and Susannah spoke at the same time. The bright woman walked towards the two, a bowl of water in one hand and a glass of brushes in the other.

Conrad gave his mother a look but shook it off and fixed his posture, wanting to get the painting over with so that he could talk to Iris.

❁ ❁ ❁

"All done," Susannah exclaimed, tossing her brush in the bowl. As the two were about to leave and get up, Susannah paused them, "Could you two head over to the bakery and buy some of those muffins. I've been craving them ever since we got here," she asked, the two teenagers obliged and headed over to Conrad's jeep, the conversation they had still lingering and needed to be talked about.

"About earlier," Conrad said, getting in the driver's seat. Iris on the other hand didn't want to talk about earlier. "Earlier? What happened earlier?" she said without a thought, acting as if the conversation they held meant nothing.

Conrad gripped onto the steering wheel tightly, "Nothing, nothing at all." He couldn't look at her, he could never know how to make it right with her.

❁ ❁ ❁

The rest of the ride to the bakery had been silent. When they had arrived, Iris left the jeep and headed straight into the building, texting Jeremiah, asking if he'd like anything. "Hi welcome in, how can I-"

The voice had been very familiar to Iris, "Book girl," he said in amusement. Iris looked up from her phone, seeing the boy she had met at Laurel's book signing, "Book boy."

Not a moment later, Conrad walked in, noticing the familiar boy. "Hi, welcome in, I'll help you in a moment," he greeted the taller brunette. Conrad stood close by Iris, "I'm with her."

Iris' eyes widened at the claim, her cheeks heating up from either embarrassment or from the way he stated it to Rowan. Rowan had looked over at Iris and then back at Conrad, "Oh, okay, so what can I get you both then," he asked, looking at Iris.

"I'll get a dozen of the muffins," she said to him, looking at the array of baked goods. "And an apple pie." Rowan nodded and went to get the order. When he had disappeared to the back, Iris turned to Conrad, giving him the 'what the hell' look.

"We are ordering together," he shrugged at her. "You are so confusing," she groaned, stepping away from him and closer to the counter. "Could say the same about you," he mumbled back.

Before Iris could banter, Rowan came back with the order, "The muffins are twenty fifteen, and the apple pie is on the house." Iris smiled, pulling out her card. Conrad on the other hand grimaced and walked out of the store.

"Relationship problems?" Rowan asked lightly, putting in the order into the registar. "What? Pff? No," Iris replied too quick, "He's just being moody. No problems, no relationship, at, all."

"Right," Rowan nodded, grabbing the receipt and writing something on the back, "Well since there is no relationship, feel free to text me or something."

He gave her the paper and she looked at it cautiously, "If you like ever need a tour guide or you know, wanna talk about books again." She smiled at him and put the receipt in her back pocket. "I'll think about it, bakery boy."

"Book boy was more appealing."

❁ ❁ ❁

SPIDEMEISTER SPEAKS

i've hit writer's block, this
chapter was so hard to write

this is a small filler ♡

if this chapter makes no sense
i'm sorry 😭 i'll make it up
in the next

i had to publish this bc i did not
want to leave you guys
high and dry

also trust the slow burn, it's all
worth it in the end 🤟🏽🤟🏽

stay hydrated !!

© spidemeister