𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍. 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞

❛ MORE THAN FRIENDS TYPE OF WAY ❜

MORE THAN FRIENDS TYPE OF WAY

❁ ❁ ❁

"What are you talking about?" she asked obliviously. Jeremiah rolled his eyes, "Iris, everyone even the mailman knew about your crush on Con."

Her cheeks reddened, "Okay but that doesn't mean I ever loved him." Jeremiah sighed, "On Con's tenth birthday. When he scraped his knee trying to use that pennyboard your dad got him, everyone laughed, even him, but what did you do?"

"I cried and said that he needed to go to the hospital," she grumbled, hating that embarrassing moment being brought up. "That just proves that I'm a caring person."

Jeremiah laughed, "When Con found out about Mom's cancer, who was the first person he told?"

"Me."

"And what did you do?" Iris had thought about the day when the she found out about Susannah's cancer.

❁ ❁ ❁

Three years ago

Conrad had thrown a paper ball against Iris' bedroom window. The two had their bedrooms facing each other, the perfect representation of the next door neighbors. Iris had been studying for her Spanish final. When being unable to catch her attention the first time, Conrad threw another paper ball, this time getting her attention.

"Yes?" she mouthed. Conrad had texted her, Meet me at our spot. She had felt nervous, she had no idea what Conrad wanted to meet her for.

Was he moving? Was he reconsidering getting their license together? Did he find out about the dream she had about him? She would tell off Perri for talking about it in the lunchroom, scared that he must've overheard.

Nonetheless, she shook off the thoughts and replied back to him, Be down in a minute.

❁ ❁ ❁

Conrad wore his favorite sweater, sitting down in the rusty playpark. His eyes had been red and puffed from crying ever since his mother had told him about the cancer. "You wanted to meet up?" Iris asked, dropping her bike beside his. She hadn't seen his face yet, but when she did, she faltered completely.

"Con?" her voice cracked seeing his all red. "What happened?" The boy started tearing up, he didn't know how to break it to Iris. He knew he should tell her, but part of him didn't want to see her cry. Though he knew that telling her would be the right thing to do. "My mom-" he stuttered, "She has breast cancer."