Chapter 6: The Book and The Blade (pt. 1)

"...CRYOFANGS!?"

She whipped her head around at the sound of her name, and she not only saw the dead white orbs of her killer staring at her, she felt them pierce her soul as it tackled her to the floor.

Cryo felt her head spin as she made contact with the floor, cold black talons wrapping around her throat and gripping tightly, she gasped and tried desperately to get rid of the claws around her windpipe.

Spots were soon in her vision as Cryo fruitlessly gasped for oxygen; she remembered her dream, of when she used her tail spikes to kill one of these things, but her body felt tingly and heavy, and her tail she couldn't move as it was pinned to the floor.

Her chest began to hurt, her heart was slowing and her lungs screamed for air, she heard the gentle winds outside begin to scream, everything seemed so far away...

If I die, Nimbus will lose me, Eis will be alone again...

Don't worry, mother and father... I'll be there soon... She heard herself think, her eyes were about to flutter closed for the last time...

"CryoFangs..." She heard a voice speak inside her brain, "you must fight this... du bist das Licht!"

What...? She wondered blankly, distantly confused.

"I give you my Light, Eingeheiligt, defeat the darkness..."

She felt a surge of life pulse through her, her body began to tremble as the area around her heart began to burn and glow...

Everything from her past flew by her eyes in a dizzying haze, and as it all turned to black, she felt what she believed to be a flower of hope blooming in that hole in her heart; everything was aglow in white light...

"Ich bin das Licht!" Cryo exclaimed suddenly, the words flowing off her tongue like water, "ICH BIN DAS LICHT!"

Her body was on fire as the glow erupted all over her scales, which now had a wondrous iridescent sheen to them, a roar escaped her as her new-found power grew in strength.

CryoFangs was a beacon in the blackness as her Light burned away the being on top of her, it's screams tearing through her ears as it disintegrated, the library around her seemed to flicker as the thing died off.

Dead silence echoed through the room, Cryo felt the burn throughout her body die down as the Light receded back to the area over her thundering heart. She was sweating profusely, which was something that hardly ever happened to a HallowFrost, I guess it was... a bit too much... she thought with a weak laugh, laying her head back as she tried to relax.

She vaguely realized that the library was lit with moonlight pouring in from multiple skylights above her head.

"CryoFangs! Are you alright?" Eis cried, crouching down beside her as he caught her eye, her talons were trembling as he took one in his own, examining her closely. His crystal-white scales shimmered like lapis and starlight as he watched her. She gasped for air hungrily, wincing and lurching away as he gingerly brushed the bruises on her neck, which had become an ugly blackish-blue.

She was grateful he didn't ask again; rather be gave her some time to regain her wits and refill her lungs, her breaths were wheezy, yet she was glad to be alive.

What happened?

"I'm alright, I believe..." she said, feeling her headache slightly recede as Eis helped her to her feet, his eyes glancing at her bruises, and then they travelled downward, now staring at her heart.