Chapter 17: Blood-Bound

CryoFangs sighed as she attempted to remember as much as she could about that scroll, she seemed to remember the description with particular clarity: "'A Blood Oath is a sacred bond only undertaken by those willing to share their Lifeforce with a partner. Both must agree to Bind themselves to the other, and one must know that being Blood-Bound comes with a price...'"

As for how to Bind herself to a dragon, that was a blurry memory. But, as she coaxed it to the surface of her mind, Cryo began remembering, piece-by-piece, each instruction. I just have to pray to the Holy Ruler above that it works, she thought, this is a life-or-death situation on my shoulders... I hope I know what I'm doing.

"Eingeheiligt..." whispered that breeze of a voice inside her head, it was Shiverthorn speaking to her, "if this is what must be done to save the prince, I will temporarily lend you my consciousness, for I know how to Blood-Bind."

Is it complicated?

"No, but I will have control over your speech, you do the rest. Are you ready, Eingeheiligt?"

Yes, she thought immediately, "Eis, I need you to trust me. Ok?"

He weakly nodded and winced, "of course I trust you, milady... do what you must... I don't think I'm r-ready to die..."

As CryoFangs pressed her talons to his wounds to stop any further bleeding, Eis hissed quietly. Shiverthorn, I'm ready... let me know what I have to do. At the thought, a rush of new thoughts flooded her brain, she was momentarily disoriented before Shiverthorn slowed his thoughts, allowing her to recognize what needed to be done.

She sighed and steadied herself, a shiver ran through her body as her scales began to glow again, her words flowing from her mouth like water as she locked eyes with him. "Prince Eis, do you agree to Bind yourself to me?"

He blinked, but nodded, "yes."

"Do you trust me with your life?"

Again, he nodded, "yes."

Cryo lifted his left talon, taking her claw and slicing an X into his palm, then she sliced into her right talon, the amethyst liquid shimmering, "will our blood run as one, Eis?"

A spark of what appeared to be life flickered in his eyes, "our blood will run as one, CryoFangs..."

She pressed their bleeding palms together, and a faint glow issued forth from their talons as the final words were whispered, "so it shall be... Ich bin deine Lebensader!"

At first, nothing happened, but as a few heartbeats went by, she watched as a shimmering white-gold light rippled across Eis' body, his breaths steadied and became less labored and wet, the pain left his eyes and his body relaxed. He laid his head back, sighing with immense relief as he gave CryoFangs a tired look, "thank you..." a single tear running down his face, "we should... get out of here..."

Eis went to say more, but his eyes rolled back in his head as he fell into a deep sleep, his chest rising and falling evenly. CryoFangs, in all honesty, was drained, between getting tortured by Vilethorn, using my powers, and saving Eis from death... I'm beyond tired... she yawned hugely, her vision blurred as she folded her wings against her sides, not entirely caring as she curled up next to Eis, laying her head on his chest.

The powerful drum of the prince's beating heart was what lulled her to sleep, her world fading to black, but I saved him...

The first thing that CryoFangs sensed was that she was laying on something oddly squishy, like moss. Her nose sniffing the air curiously as her half-conscious mind tried recognizing her surroundings, the squishy material smelt damp, and as her own scent hit her nose, the familiar scent of a crisp winter morning drifted into her nostrils as well. CryoFangs felt something warm brush against the back of her neck, making her shiver slightly and begin opening her eyes as someone's light breathing could be finally heard.