Chapter 4

NORFOLK VIRGINIA FEBRUARY 1950 "NEW JERSEY"

I listened as the band on shore started playing "Missouri Waltz". I grinned. At last, after a month stuck on the shoals, Missouri was floating again. She was being pulled by several tugs.

Her fuel tanks were empty so she couldn't move herself but she was wide awake. "I thought I'd never get off there." She said to me as she was pulled into the dry dock nearby.

"Well I'm glad that you're ok." I said. "A few scrapes here and there and some sand in places that I care not to mention but otherwise I'm fine." She replied. She coughed and I saw her spit sand out onto the ground.

"Oh it's not serious but it is annoying." She assured me when I stared at her worriedly. I still remained to be convinced and leaned over to feel her hull. "You're warm." I murmured.

"That's because I've been out in the sun for a month." She grumbled. "No, you're warm below the waterline too." I growled. "I'm fine sis." She muttered. "No, I'm pretty sure you're not." I replied. When Callaghan appeared I told him what I discovered and he did a quick but thorough check of Missouri.

"You've been out in the sun too long." He said. "But she's warm below the waterline." I said. "She's got a mild form of sunstroke, one of the symptoms is a mild fever. Don't worry, time in the shade should cool her down." He assured me.

The drydock didn't really have any shade so instead Callaghan put white tarps up on three sides, leaving the side facing me open so we could see each other. "Thanks, Callaghan." Missouri said. He gave Missouri one last pat before leaving.

She yawned. "Tired?" I asked. "Yes, very." She replied. "You didn't sleep well?" I asked. "I didn't sleep at all." She replied.

As battleships, we were used to long cruises. We slept when we were in port, we never slept at sea, never. Since Missouri wasn't tied up, she was technically at sea and so remained awake. The longest cruise she ever made without making port lasted two weeks, half as long as she was forced to wait out there.

"I'll leave you to it." I said. She nodded. Turning her head away from the light that was coming in, she closed her eyes and fell asleep almost at once.

She was awake again in a few hours though, her silver eyes bright and cheery. At least that is until she learned what the press had been writing. "They're calling you irresponsible, stupid, and an embarrassment to the US navy. Your nickname has been changed to muddy mo." I told her. Better I explain than the press.

"Great, just great." She muttered sarcastically. Nearby, Kentucky was watching us curiously. She was only halfway built but was being moved to accommodate Missouri. "Sorry Ken!" Missouri called.

"Its fine, it's not the first time that work's been halted." Kentucky replied. USS Kentucky (BB-66) was the sixth ship in our class. Another sister, Illinois was being built in Brooklyn and although I tried to hide it, I couldn't help but feel worried for their future. Battleships really didn't have a place in modern warfare and Kentucky already had construction halted and resumed on her twice, I feared it wouldn't resume a third time.

Kentucky was launched, very prematurely, and made way for her elder sister. She was placed in a dock close to me and was beside Wisconsin. "Ah, in the water at last are we?" Wisconsin asked. "Yes, but only temporarily." Kentucky replied.

Wisconsin nodded, turning her attention to a man on the dock. "Hey you! Got any ice cream around here?" She asked. The dockworker stared at Wisconsin, slightly amused. "Yes, but you've already had your share." He replied.

Wisconsin rolled her eyes. "That was yesterday." She growled. "Was it, I can't remember too many ships to feed." He said. Wisconsin glared at him. "Alright, I'm going." He said and raced off.