Chapter 13

WONSAN NORTH KOREA AUGUST 1953 "NEW JERSEY"

It had been two weeks since Missouri left on another midshipman training cruise on the east coast. I had relieved her as seventh fleet flagship. Several ships weren't too happy about the change.

"Why does she get to take over? She hasn't been here in two years." Agerholm, a Gearing-class destroyer asked. "Yeah, why do we have to be told what to do by a healer? All she does is mix herbs." Another, Cunningham, added.

"So what if she's a healer? She can still shoot." Isbell snapped. Both Cunningham and Agerholm protested loudly against Isbell and all the destroyers quickly entered into a heated argument.

I pretended I didn't hear a thing. Usually that allowed for the destroyers to speak their minds without the fear of a reprimand from me. It was always good to know what your troops were thinking.

I was interrupted from my thoughts by a frustrated hiss. I turned to see Wisconsin trying to get back onto an even keel. As part of her training exercises, I'd ordered her to travel broadside to the waves. That is, being in the trough. No one likes being there, it's hard work and is dangerous in heavy seas. But right now the seas were relatively calm and I'd ordered Wisconsin to practice a broadside run for a mile or so.

She was clearly having trouble. Her overweight beam had caused her to lose her stability so she'd roll heavily like a destroyer in any weather. I often told her crew to sing the destroyer song just to annoy her and provide a distraction, it worked.

"Do it, do it." I hissed quietly. Wisconsin's crew started singing in a well formed men's chamber choir. Wisconsin groaned. "Shut up!" She snapped and rolled heavily to one side. "You know, that'll just make 'em sing more." I called.

"You just wait New Jersey. As soon as I have the strength, I'll get you." She growled. "You'll thank me for this one day." I replied, turning away. She rolled 30 degrees to starboard.

She gritted her teeth and came back on an even keel. Then, she was hit again and this time she went all the way over on her side. "Uh, New Jersey a little help!" She called. I looked and busted up laughing.

Wisconsin was completely on her starboard side, her head just above the surface. Still laughing, I raced over and gave her a nudge. "Good god sis, you may've cut back on the ice cream but you still weigh a few good tons." I groaned. "Don't push your luck." She growled.

"Are you gonna help me or am I gonna have to push you over myself." I asked. "I am helping." She replied. "Oh really, well help more. I can't keep doing this. You're gonna have to do it yourself, it's the only way you'll get back in shape again." I said.

I succeeded in getting her back upright, but she was still leaning heavily on me. "Wisconsin, will you quit that." I snapped. "Quit what?" She asked innocently. "You're not a sailboat. You can support yourself." I replied. "Ah you're no fun." She complained and settled back onto an even keel.

I sighed. I could sense something was bothering her. She wasn't normally so dependent, even if she was teasing. "What's going on sis?" I asked. She stiffened. "What do you mean?" She replied. "Something's bothering you." I said. "No it isn't." She said, looking away.

"Come on, I know it's something." I said. I moved forward. "Talk to me, or I'll have to tickle you till you do." Using several plant leaves that I had stored, I tickled her side with them. She shied away from me. "Stop that!" She snapped, sounding rather harsh.

"Yep, something's definitely up." I muttered. She glared at me. "Come on now sis, what is it? Is it your head, I wouldn't be surprised if it were hurting." I knew I was on the right path for Wisconsin's eyes flashed knowingly.

"If you're having migraines I can help with that." I said. "No, it's not that." She replied, turning away. "Then what? Come on sis, I'm a healer. Helping people is what I do but I can't help you if you don't tell me what's going on." I said.

"Whose bow is mine?" She asked. I tensed. "Well?" She asked, her tropical blue eyes boring into mine. I knew I had to tell her. I sighed. "Kentucky's." I replied.

Her eyes widened. "Why didn't you tell me?" She whispered. "We wanted to protect you." I replied. "Protect me, from what? From the fact that I'm a murderer?" She said. "Wisconsin." I whispered, shocked she'd say such a thing.

"Well it's true, if Kentucky hadn't been forced to give her own head up, she never would've died and been scrapped." She snapped.

One year ago, Kentucky was cancelled and sold to Boston for final demolition. It was a hard time for all of us but especially hard for Wisconsin. She was very close to Kentucky.

"Wisconsin, you are not a murderer." I hissed. I should've known better than to let my anger get the better of me. "How am I not New Jersey, you tell me? I'm not even me anymore. I'm, half Kentucky." She whispered, looking down.

"You are you Wisconsin, just as you always have been." I said. Her eyes flared. "Why did you do it?" She asked. "We did it to save you." I replied.

She fixed her blue eyes directly on me. The look in them was one of pure disgust and hatred. "You killed her." She whispered and lunged. She rammed into me at full speed.

I was too shocked to try and defend myself. She bowled me over and smashed her bow down onto my side. Giving me one last hated glare, she raced off. I grunted as I got to my feet and raced after her.

"Wisconsin, Wisconsin come back." I called. "Go away New Jersey, I don't ever want to see you again." She snarled. She was running at top speed and despite my better health, I was struggling to keep up.

Doing a quick check I discovered I had two twisted propeller shafts. (Sprained that is) "Not so fast." I called. "Go home New Jersey." She replied.

The swells got bigger as we headed farther out to sea and I knew there was a storm coming. I was forced to slow down. "Wisconsin, if there was just some way... I'd give anything to change... oh god I'm sorry Wisconsin." I moaned. "I'm so sorry." I whispered. I bowed my head and turned to head for home.

The weather was quickly deteriorating. The clouds were rolling in and the waves were growing in height. It was nighttime by the time I got back to Wonsan. It was windy and there were multiple tents set up for the different ships of the fleet. I went to the one that was assigned to the battleships. I could see all the lamps were lit as I approached.

I entered and saw that Iowa was there. "Is Wisconsin here?" I asked hopefully. She shook her head. "No, why what happened?" She asked. I sighed. "She discovered something and I said some things to her that I never should've said." I replied.

"She knows?" Iowa asked. I nodded. "How did she respond?" She asked. "Exactly as we had thought she would, but worse." I said. "She thinks we're killers. She called me one at least."

Iowa brushed her bow along my side. "Can you blame her? She was very close to Kentucky." She said. "Maybe she's right, maybe we made a mistake in ordering Kentucky's bow to fix her." I muttered. "We did no such thing. We never ordered anything. Kentucky made her own decision and a noble one at that. All we did was carry out her choice." Iowa said sternly.

I nodded. "I just hope she's alright." I said, glancing worriedly at the torrent of rain outside. "Wisconsin is a smart ship, she'll find shelter." She assured me. We found a place to dock and rest our tired bodies.

Tying up at my berth, I found that I could not sleep. I was too worried about Wisconsin. Had she really found shelter? Was she alright? Looking to my left, I saw that Iowa was having the same problem.

I could see her green eyes glowing in the dim light of the tent's lamps. Her gaze fixed on the door, wondering like I was, if Wisconsin could ever forgive us for our crime.