Chapter 21

CHERBOURG FRANCE APRIL 1954 "NOMADIC"

It was a typical spring day here in Cherbourg, ships coming in, ships coming out, passengers to fairy and of course more cracked masts.

"Ugh, sailboats." I muttered crossly as yet another group of patients lined up outside my door. "At this rate I'll have no herbs left." I grumbled as I grabbed a few marigold leaves and cobwebs to patch the sailboat's masts.

I loved healing, it was a task I took great pleasure in but this was too much. "Ok you guys, listen up. I can't keep patching you up. I only have so many herbs to use and at this rate I'll have none left to patch up other ships that are injured. I need a good supply to do my job but you guys are wasting it with your carelessness." I said.

They bowed their heads guilty. "We're sorry Nomadic." They said as one. "I know you are but please, I'm begging you be careful. I can't afford to keep doing this." I said. "We understand, we'll be more careful from now on." They agreed.

"Thank you." I said and began patching them up. For once, the sailboats actually listened to me and were careful. They only played in the harbor and other than a few scratches that they'd get from bumping against the dock and each other, I had very few patients to treat.

This gave me time to tend to my other duties. One day Oceanic, leader of the Cunard Line and my flagship came over. "You're doing a good job here Nomadic." She praised me.

"Thanks Oceanic." I replied. "Pol told me about your Propellerous, is it true you have it." She asked. I nodded. "Yes, it's true." I murmured.

She sighed. "Unfortunate, you're a good healer one of the best I've seen." She muttered. "Hold on now my friend, you think I'd give up that easily, think again." I growled.

"You always were a fighter Nomadic but to win against this disease? I don't know that even you could do it." She said. "I did it with the influenza." I reminded her.

She grunted. "True, but can you win against this? Propellerous is not just any disease, it's a terminal one that causes great pain the more you fight it. Can you really win?" She asked.

"There's only one way to find out." I replied. She sighed. "I'll be nearby. If you need me, give a yowl." She said and left.

Pol came over. "She thinks I can't do it." I grumbled before the icebreaker could ask the question. "Then she doesn't know who her healer is." Pol replied.

She nuzzled me. "I know you can do it Nomadic. Just trust in yourself and trust in your friends and you'll make it through. You have a lot to fight for, and I'll be with you every step of the way, never forget that." She murmured.

I nodded. "I haven't, and I never will forget, ever." I murmured back, pressing against her. She smiled. "Nomadic?" She began.

"Hmm?" I asked. "There's a task force heading north and it needs to get through the ice, and they asked me to come. I have to go." She replied.

I sighed. I was expecting this, for weeks Pol had stayed here. She'd asked her commanding officer, the coast guard cutter Andenes to be stationed here. Andenes was a fierce abolitionist and was sympathetic to Pol's plight so she agreed.

But you can only hold off naval duty for so long. Andenes gave Pol a few months here with me but now it was time for her to go home.

I nuzzled her. "I'll miss you." I whispered. "So will I, but I'll be back soon. I won't have to work hard to convince Andenes to bring me back here." She replied.

I nodded. "Just be careful out there all right? Ice may look harmless but one good hit is all it takes." I warned. She nodded. "Don't worry Nomadic, unlike Titanic I'm built for ice work and of course I'm always careful. I wouldn't be much use to the fleet on the ocean floor now would I?" She asked