ventisei

After a few days, I finally decided that Dante's place would be the safest for now. Just until all of this mess blows over or until it's time for me to go back to the States.

I stuffed my clothes and other belongings into my suitcase, double-checking to make sure I didn't leave anything.

I contacted the landlady and checked out of the apartment. The only thing left to do was lock up and leave. I twisted the key in the lock before leaving it under the planter just like the owner had told me.

Just as we finish loading my stuff into his trunk, a sleek car pulls behind us into the driveway. Its windows tinted too dark to see inside.

"Infinity...are you expecting anyone?" Dante looks at me, worried.

"No, I have no idea who that is."

He stands in front of me, blocking my view, "Get in the car, angel."

I feel my heart beginning to pump faster against my chest.

Fuck, we've been found out. But, it's so soon?

Okay, if we just explain, everything will be alright. We haven't done anything wrong.

I climbed inside and I laid my head in my hands as I got my story straight in my head.

The mystery car's engine sputters to a stop and I hear the car door slam shut and steps crunching towards us.

"Oh no, not again." Dante sounds repulsed, "What are you doing back here?"

A familiar voice says, "I should be asking you that. The fuck are you still doing here?"

I whip my head around to make sure I'm hearing correctly, and through the glass of the window I see her.

Genevieve. Fucking Genevieve.

I jump out of the car and G's eyes snap over to me, "Oh," she chuckles, "so that's why."

"Yes, she's why. Why are you back here? Got more slurs for us today?"

She rolls her eyes, "Who the fuck is talking to you?" she looks at me, "I came because I got an email from the landlady about early check-out."

Shit, I forgot that she was attached to that email thread.

"Yeah, I'm checking out early. Why do you care?"

"Because..." the corners of her lips pull downwards into the oddest frown I've ever seen, "I've done a lot of thinking and...you were right."

"Right about what exactly?"

"Everything. I've been thinking about it over and over. Ever since that fight we had, that misunderstanding, that-"

"That slur that you said," Dante mumbled under his breath much to G's dismay.

I put a hand up, "Alright, I got this, babe. Continue. What about it?"

"I've spent weeks mulling over the right words to say the next time we were to meet but I'm just going to make things simple. You were absolutely right. I was wrong. So very wrong. What I did, what I said should have never even come into my mind. I don't know why I ever thought it was okay to even let that word make its way into my vocabulary. I knew it was wrong, too. But I didn't care. I didn't care to think about how harmful it really is because I just ignored the problems and ignored the pain behind that word."

She looked down at the ground shamefully, "I didn't give a shit about anything then. I was so fucking selfish. I thought I could just say anything and do anything because I had nothing to lose. But I did have something to lose...I lost you. I should've never said that. I should've never put boys over you. I should've never put boys over you. I failed you repeatedly. I know that now." she looked back up at me, stepping closer, "I'm not asking for you to be my friend again, I'm not asking you to feel bad for me either. I'm only here to ask for your forgiveness. I'm still learning and growing, something I should've started doing years ago but I neglected. But please, I just want you to know that you deserve so much better than me and that I am deeply sorry..."