it's perfect

January 1986
Sunday
____________________

You were standing infront of an old, half run down house for rent just outside of a trailer park. It was big enough for one person, maybe two if you didn't mind sharing a room. Although the outside of the house has chipped paint, cracked bricks and vines hanging from the gutters, the inside was beautiful and had been kept spotless. The wooden floors are polished and the walls have been freshly painted white. The bedroom was just big enough to fit a double sized bed and space for decoration. In the bathroom, there's a gorgeous shower with translucent glass and a seating bench. A medium sized bathtub sits in the corner of the bathroom along with the basin and large mirror. Finally, just outside the bedroom and bathroom, there's the dining area with a small kitchen. Eventhough the house doesn't look very big, the inside seemed bigger than what it was. It was perfect.

"What do you think Miss?" A tall blonde lady asked me, presumably the real estate agent. I pulled my attention from the house and looked at the clipboard in her hand. "It's for rent?" I asked, considering the fact I needed to find a place before tomorrow. "Yes, the house is for rent but uhm..." the lady paused and looked around before continuing "...are your parents wanting to rent it? Because if they are, they need to be here with you." She finished, looking around again. I looked at her blankly then shook my head no and looked back at the house. "I'll rent it" I said, leaving the woman extremely confused and out of place. "I'm sorry Miss but aren't you like 15? You cannot rent this house." She stated, slowly becoming annoyed with the situation. "16 actually." I corrected. She just scoffed and rolled her eyes at me. Obviously I was too young to rent a house, even I knew that and I haven't been on my own for very long, but I wasn't going to leave without the keys. "As I said, you cannot rent this house." The woman said, locking the front door and walking away from me.

"I said I'll rent it."

The woman turned to look at me with an offended expression. "Excuse me?" She asked rhetorically, clearly done with the day. I'm desperate, I have no choice. I looked the woman in the eyes and her posture immediately fixed.

"I said, I will rent it." I repeat with my voice ringing through her ears. Her eyes turned a milky white as she obeyed my words. She handed me the keys and got into her car, forgetting every moment of our encounter as she drove off.