brother

It was 1984 when Hawkins Lab was shut down. But It wasn't until 1985 that I escaped. For some reason, Papa seemed to think I was special and he wasn't willing to let that go. Even after many failed attempts at using my powers, he would always tell me: "You have much more potential than what your brother ever had." I never knew what he meant by that, atleast not until he isolated me from the world.

When the soldiers paraded through the halls of the lab, arresting all the nurses in sight, Papa was containing me, trying to "keep me safe" and away from the "bad men". I thought he was telling the truth when he lowered me into the sensory deprivation tank, but we were both very wrong. It kept me safe from the soldiers, but not him. Not my brother. Whilst my body was trapped at the age of 16, submerged in salty water, I stood by my brothers side in the upside-down and watched as he rained hell on small town Hawkins. "Eleven may have banished me here, but you and I, we will rule together."

He soon helped me unlock my full potential, watching me closely as I constructed the attack on Starcourt Mall. I was completely ignorant and unaware of the people I was hurting. He never told me the details of his plan and of course I didn't ask questions, I just wanted him to be proud. After I realised the amount of pain I had caused, I fought back and won. My brother was only using me as part of his plan. He manipulated me into hurting all those people, hurting Billy. If he cared about me, he would have freed my physical form instead of just my mind.

It was December 1985 when I awoke. The laboratory was dead silent. The walls were stained red and I was dressed in nothing but a white wet suit. From what I knew, my powers consisted of telekinesis and mind control, but I swore to myself that I would never use them, or any that I may develop, again unless I was desperate.