forest fright

Wednesday
____________________

It was around six thirty in the morning and I was dancing around the dining room in nothing but my underwear and bra. Material Girl by Madonna was blasting through the cassette deck as I got ready for school. The curtains were closed so I didn't have to worry about anyone seeing me when my clothes landed at my feet. I picked them up and pulled my pants up around my hips. Just as I pulled my shirt over my head, there was a knock at my door. I quickly answered the door to see Eddie standing there. His eyes widened when he saw how my shirt was sitting above my chest, but he maintained eye contact. I finished pulling my shirt down and waited for him to talk. "Hey uh... I just wanted to tell you to meet me behind the school in the woods when you're ready." Eddie said, rubbing the back of his neck and looking down at the ground. "Skipping school?" I asked, wondering why he wanted to meet somewhere random. "Only if you want to." He said, looking back at me. I took a minute to respond as I glanced behind me, to my empty dining room. Hopefully he doesn't think anything of it. "I'll meet you there Eddie." I answered. He smiled and skipped off the porch, walking back into the trailer park. I closed the door and finished getting dressed.

I stuffed my jacket from yesterday into my bag and turned off my cassette deck

I stuffed my jacket from yesterday into my bag and turned off my cassette deck. Deciding to leave now, I looked around my house making sure I wouldn't forget anything. I locked the front door, shoved my keys into my pocket and began walking to school.

time skip

It was almost seven o'clock when I stepped onto the oval. I'm pretty sure this is the back of the school, I could be wrong but there's a forest past the metal seats. I carefully made my way down the hill and into the trees, making sure I wouldn't slip on all the fallen leaves. Soon, an old wooden lunch table came into view. I tossed my bag onto the seat and continued to look around. Something was off... I can feel it. It's quiet. Too quiet for my liking. A shiver rode down my spine as I felt a pair of eyes burn into the back of my head. I spun around, only to see tree after tree. "Hello?" I called out, hoping Eddie was near by.

Suddenly I froze.

A heavy, consistent ticking blared through the forest. My body stiffened, not daring to turn around. After the sixth chime, a deep toll rang, followed by another six chimes. It almost sounded like a church bell. Another toll rang and I decided it best to approach the noise. I slowly turned around, immediately regretting coming to the forest.

Embedded in one of the trees, was a grandfather clock. The golden pendulum made its steady way back and forth, creating another toll, the third. I took a couple steps forward, running my hand down the polished wood and stopping at the window that showed the time. I stumbled back in shock when the glass began to crack and several spiders started to crawl out of every gap. "It can't be..." I mumbled, tears filling my eyes. My face grew sickly pale when the fourth toll blared through the forest. My breathing became frantic and I took a few steps back, hitting something hard behind me. I screamed and stumbled away from what I hit, only to see Eddie. "Woah woah woah hey hey, sorry..." He grabbed my waist and pulled me towards him, preventing me from falling backwards from fright. "...I didn't mean to scare you." I looked up at Eddie in the eyes, my breath trembling as I clung to his vest. "Hey you okay?" He asked, wiping the tears from my cheek and letting his hands fall back to my waist. I looked back to where the clock once was, still holding onto Eddie's shirt. "Come on, let's sit down." He said, leading me by the hand to the wooden bench. I sat next to my bag, failing badly to stop my leg from shaking. I looked around the forest, still uneasy from before.

"There's uh, nothin to worry about..." Eddie took his vest off and tossed it onto the table. "...Okay? No one ever comes out here." He took a seat across from me, eyeing me up and down. "You're safe Y/N." Eddie said, placing a hand on my knee to stop it from shaking. I looked at him and couldn't help but smile, I was thankful and relieved that he's here. "Hey what time did you get here by the way?" Eddie asked, taking his hand off my knee. "Seven." I responded. Eddie furrowed his eyebrows and looked at his watch. I just sat there, not knowing why he was confused. "Eddie?" He didn't look away from his watch. I reached over the table and grabbed his wrist, pulling it towards me. He finally looked at me and spoke. "Y/N you've been waiting here for an hour?" Eddie didn't try to pull his arm away from me. Instead he leant on the table, allowing me to hold his wrist. "What? No... I only got here 10 minutes ago." I said, seriously confused and freaked out. I let go of Eddie's wrist and he sat back down on his side of the table. "Must've been one hell of a fright huh?" Eddie stood up and pulled his vest back over his shirt. "What was it that scared you anyway?" He asked, holding out his hand for me to take. I placed my hand in his and he helped me up from the bench. "Nothing important." I lied, not wanting to seem crazy. Eddie looked a bit sceptical but I just ignored it and let go of his hand to grab my bag.

"Well we better get to school, it's starting soon." Eddie said, walking towards the end of the forest. I quickly followed him, not wanting to be left behind. My foot slightly slid on a pile of leaves when I caught up to his side. "Woah hey, don't slip." Eddie placed his hand on my lower back as we walked up the hill, preventing me from falling. "Thank you." I said with a smile as we approached the doors of the school. "You sure you're gonna survive English without me?" Eddie smirked, stopping and facing me infront of the doors. "I think I'll die without you." I retorted. A light pink blush spread across his cheeks. Eddie knew I was being sarcastic, but he still hoped that maybe I wasn't. "You just wait until science." Eddie teased, poking the sides of my stomach causing me to laugh and push him away. The bell for first lesson rang and Eddie walked me inside. I noticed a few stares but I didn't care all that much. "I'll see you at lunch?" I asked, a little nervous about English. "I'll see you at lunch." He confirmed.