chapter 1

"Will you please come? I don't want to go alone!" Nancy pleaded.

Nancy, Barb and I were sitting at our normal table at lunch. This was the first time in a month that Nancy had even tried sitting with us. Recently she's been trailing Steve Harrington and his goons around, abandoning Barb and I. Now she shows up here with an out-of-left-field request.

Barbara rolled her eyes. "Nance, that is so not my crowd... But I'll go if Y/N does."

Nancy's eyes shot to me. "What? No." I said. "This is not about me right now."

"Oh come on Y/N, please? I'll owe you. I promise," Nancy pleaded.

I thought it over. That group was only good for drinking and sex. Two things I did not want to get involved in. Not after dad died.

I thought about dad. Him wrestling Dustin and I, the three of us cuddled together watching Where The Red Fern Grows, and him comforting Dustin while he cried after watching it. If we only knew that a couple months later he would have died of alcohol poisoning.

I sighed and looked at the two girls. "Sorry, no not this time. Steve Harrington is not the kind of person I want to hang out with. Especially if there's going to be drinks involved."

Barb dipped her head in understanding, but Nancy looked confused.

"It's not like we're all going to get plastered or anything," she laughed.

"Just drop it Wheeler. Like Barb said, it's not my crowd." I continued eating my lunch while Nancy turned to pester Barb.

***

After school, I got into my car to drive down the street to pick up Dustin. Since mom is out a lot of the time working, I've been assigned "Designated Driver" ever since I got my license. I don't really mind driving Dusty around, but when his friends piggyback and end up piling into my car as well, It can definitely grind my gears. So today, when all but Will starter running up to the car, I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, any leads on Will?" I asked, turning around to look at the three of them in my back seat.

"Nope." They all said at once.

I narrowed my eyes in suspicion. "What are you three up to?"

"Nothing! Y/N can you just drop us all off at my house? We were going to... work on our campaign." Mike said looking at the others for backup.

"You guys are going to work on it without Will there? Damn, some friends you are."

"No, no it's not like that!" Dustin reassured me. "We just..." He turned to Mike and Lucas.

"We're doing it in memory of Will." Lucas continued when Dustin didn't finish. "So... Can you bring us to the Wheeler's?"

"Ughhh," I groaned. "Fine. But I'm coming too, I need to talk to Nancy anyways. If I so much as suspect something fishy going on, I'm taking Dustin and Lucas home. I don't know what you three are plotting, but a child is literally missing right now. It's not safe for you to be out."

"We aren't plotting anything I swear." Dustin lifted his right arm in promise.

I just rolled my eyes as we pulled into the Wheeler's driveway. "Alright losers get out, we're here."

We all piled out of the car as the three ran ahead and inside. As I walked in I saw Nancy at the top of the stairs.

She plasters on a pleasant smile. "Oh hey Y/N! You ready for the Assembly tonight?"

"What-" I say as Mrs. Wheeler walks by to greet me.
"Hello Y/N! I wasn't expecting to see you here!" She embraced me in a hug and while her back was turned I looked at Nancy. 'What?' I mouthed to her. 'Go with it!' She mouthed back as her mom pulled away.