chapter 9

// Hi guys!! Thank you so much for reading and voting for season one of this story :)) before we get into season two I wrote a couple of one-shots that take place during the time jump!       lots of love-  your_average_dad    //

December 24, 1983

"This movie sucks," Steve grumbled. He was wearing a stupid Christmas sweater that Nancy had most definitely gotten him to wear. We were watching White Christmas, a musical about putting on a Christmas musical. I thought it was very fitting. Nancy seemed to be enjoying it, and was nudging Steve every time he got too antsy.

"Just shut up and watch," I laughed. "Do you not enjoy musicals, Harrington?"

"No, I do! Just not bad ones!" he crossed his arms.

"What kind of musicals are good that don't involve Bing Crosby?" I asked, referring to the main actor in White Christmas.

"Do you even know how many times he's rented Grease?" Nancy asked, turning her head to look at me on the other side of the couch.

My jaw dropped. "You like Grease?"

Steve opened his mouth to deny this fact, but was interrupted by a knocking on the door. Nancy opened it to reveal Johnathan, here to pick up Will. Shit.

"What time is it?" I asked jumping up from my spot on the couch.

"Uh, it's about 7:30" Johnathan said, warily stepping inside like he didn't know whether or not he was welcome. Steve gave him a pleasant smile and it eased the tension a bit.

"This conversation is not over, greased lightning," I said pointing to Steve, before leading Johnathan downstairs to get the boys.

The basement was filled with the sound of arguing over their latest D&D campaign. "But it doesn't make sense!" Dustin was yelling.

"It makes sense!" Mike yelled back, defensive.

"Uh, no! What about the lost night?"

"And the proud princess!" Lucas interjected.

"And those weird flowers in the cave!" Will added. Mike threw his hands up in the air.

"I don't know! I just-"

We were halfway down the stairs before we made ourselves known. "Jesus, what's that smell?" I asked, wrinkling my nose. It smelled like sweaty sixth grade boys down here.

"Have you guys been playing games all day, or just farting?" Johnathan and I walked down the rest of the stairs to face the party of four.

"No that's just Dustin, he farted," Lucas laughed.

Dustin's jaw dropped in utter betrayal.

"Dustin farted!" Lucas sang, also blowing multiple raspberries for good measure.

"Very mature Lucas," Dustin rolled his eyes, while the rest of the party laughed.

"Are you two ready to go yet?" I smiled, addressing Will and Dustin. Johnathan was taking us all back to my place, and all 6 of us were having Christmas eve dinner together. It had become a tradition ever since Joyce and Lonnie divorced a few years ago. Joyce and Mom had always been pretty close since high school, so it wasn't the most unusual thing for us to all get together for special occasions. Although, sometimes I wonder if the two had something between them when they were younger.

Lucas finished his chorus of fart noises, and Will got up to grab his bag. "Bye guys!" Will called and I had to drag Dustin away from Lucas before they broke out into a wrestling match.