chapter 8

As quickly as we could, the three of us took turns helping each other bandage our hands. Johnathan wrapped his own in the white gauze, and as he began to work on Nancy's the crimson was already seeping through. Nancy, in turn, circled the bandage around my hand gently. She looked up for a moment, eyes wide. "Did you hear that?"

"It's just the wind, Nance," Johnathan said. "Don't worry. The lights will flicker before it gets here."

"Is that too tight?" She asked me as she put some tape on to keep the bandage from unraveling.

"No it's perfect. Thank you," I said, standing up and grabbing the bat with the nails in it. From the corner of my eye I noticed Nancy taking Johnathan's hand into hers, inspecting his. I gave the bat a few swings, before a banging on the front door almost made me drop it out of shock. My head whipped around to look at Nancy and Johnathan, both looking as bewildered as I felt.

"You expecting a date tonight, Byers?" I asked as I walked slowly to the front door, the bat heavy in my hand.

"Johnathan? Are you there, man? It's Steve!" The banging continued. Definitely not anyone I was expecting. What the hell is he doing here? "Listen I just want to talk!" Apparently that.

The knocking on the door continued before I opened the latch and cracked the door, leaving only enough room for my face to show. "Listen-" I started but he quickly cut me off.

"Henderson, what.. what are you doing here?" He examined my face. "Listen, I listened to what you said and I know I need to apologize to Johnathan so will you please open the door?" He asked, trying to push his way through. I pushed back, knowing how hard it would be to explain all the shit behind this door. Our blood was still fresh on the carpet, and the Demogorgon will be here any second.

"Why are you always showing up at the most inconvenient of times, Harrington?" I shook my head and shifted my weight to my right leg, my left one throbbing from over-exertion. "You can't come in right now. Come back later, please; It's for everyone's sake." I tried to push him back so I could close the door without hurting him, but he grabbed my wrist.

"Y/N, what's this? Why are you bleeding? What happened?" It was a funny question, coming from someone who still had a busted lip and black eye. His eyes hardened and his jaw set as he tried to look inside the house again. "Did he do this to you?"

"No, Steve it's not what it looks like, I swear. Please just go," He was taking up too much time, at this point we were sitting ducks. I tried again to shut the door but he pushed back even harder this time.

"Y/N you need to let me in right now," He said, his protectiveness taking over and pushing the door open against my adamant protests. I stepped back before the door swung open and Steve launched himself inside the house.

He looked down to the bat in my hand, then to the gun on the table. "What the- Nancy?" His voice pitched as he saw her, confusing him even more. "What are you three-" I could see so many questions forming in his head that his mouth couldn't decide which ones to say.

"You need to get out of here," Johnathan said, pushing him towards the door by a fistful of Steve's shirt.

"What's going on in here?" Steve planted his feet, determined to stay until he got some answers. Noble intentions, Steve, but it's really not the time for this.

"I'm not asking you, I'm telling you: Get out of here!" Johnathan yelled.

"What is that smell? Is that Gasoline?" Steve's panicked voice rose above Johnathan's, who was still trying to push Steve out the door. I grabbed one of Steve's arms and started pulling too.

"I promise things will make more sense later, please Harrington," I pleaded.

I heard the sound of a gun clicking. "Steve!" Nancy yelled pointing the gun at him. "Get out!"