chapter 4

I was staring at my closet trying to pick out something to wear when I heard a knock at my door. "Yeah?" I called.

Dustin walked in, defeated. "You don't happen to know how to tie a tie do you?"

"Zero clue, kid."

He sighed and looked me up and down, noticing I was still wearing my pajamas. "Y/N why aren't you dressed yet?"

"I didn't know what to wear!"

"Just something black stupid! God, it's like the least complicated event to dress for."

"Shut the hell up, alright? Now leave so that I can get dressed," I said, pointing to the door. Dustin shrugged and walked out.

I grabbed a pair of dark dress pants and a black button down and pulled them on quickly. Would this be too casual if I wore my Doc Martins with it? I look at my outfit in the mirror. Screw it I'll just wear them it's fine. I seriously doubt Will is going to mind. I pulled on my boots and stared at my hair for a moment, and having no clue what to do with it, I left it down.

"Y/N are you almost ready yet?" Mom called from the living room.

"Yeah I'm coming right now!" I ran out into the living room.

"Honey, your hair is getting so long, do you want me to help you style it really quickly?" She was tying Dustin's tie as she looked my outfit up and down.

"I'll just tie it up I guess," I said quickly grabbing a hair tie from the bathroom and putting it up in a loose ponytail.

"Alright, are we ready?" I asked.

"Yeah I think so," Dustin said, giving me a small smile.

The car ride was silent, mom having no clue how to comfort Dustin and I. Little did she know though, we had no reason to be sad today. Will was still out there. And we were going to find him.

The three of us walked together to the cemetery, but once we saw other people, we went out separate ways. Mom went to go stand with Mrs. Wheeler and Mrs. Byers, and Dustin ran off to meet Mike and Lucas.

I hovered though, not sure where to go, or who to talk to. The service was outdoors, so there wasn't really a corner where I could just stand by myself. Crossing my arms over my chest, I resigned myself to standing with the boys.

"Fear not, For I am with you," Pastor Charles began, reading from the bible in his hands. "Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes I will help you. I will uphold you within my righteous right hand."

I took a deep breath and looked at the people around me. Mrs. Byers looked disheveled as hell, and standing next to her with his hand around her waist was her ex husband. Johnathan looked extremely solemn, more than he has since Will had gone missing in the first place.

All around me was mourning. Young kids burying their faces into their parents. Mothers wiping their tears with tissues. Fathers with their heads bowed sorrowfully. And I felt nothing. I knew there was a good reason. I had no purpose in mourning someone who was alive. And yet, seeing all of these people in pain, imagining their own children in this exact situation, I couldn't feel anything but completely detached. It was haunting.

"Wait 'till we tell Will Jennifer Hayes was crying at his funeral," Dustin whispered to Mike and Lucas. The two looked over to see a blonde girl near the front, sniffling as the pastor spoke.

I hit Dustin lightly on the arm. "Dude shut up, not the time," I whispered. Shaking my head I tried to focus back in on what Pastor Charles was saying.

"It would be easy to turn away from God, but we must remember that nothing, not even tragedy, can separate us from his love..."

The time came to toss the roses on the casket holding not-Will, and I didn't wait up for the boys as they paid their respects. I, instead, looked around for Nancy and Johnathan, who disappeared together after the service was over. I walked away from the group a bit, but not before my mom came up to me. "Y/N where are you going?"