chapter 5

The upside down smelled so gross. Like rotting flesh. The goo coming from the pathway through worlds clung to my hair and my clothes as I crawled out the other side and stood up. It was like I was in the woods, except everything was dark, and there were vines everywhere. It was also so cold. Just like Will described it.

"Nancy?!" I called.

"Y/N! Where are you?"

"I'm by the entrance! I'm coming to find you!" I held my axe in one hand as I tried to think of which direction I should run in.

Nancy screamed again. I ran towards the noise and found Nancy face to face with the Demogorgon. "Nancy, Move!" I yelled standing in front of her, axe raised. The monster stalked closer and closer until it got into range. I swung at it and the edge of my weapon grazed across its chest. Not the amount of damage I was hoping for.

Nancy grabbed my arm. "Y/N we need to go!" She screamed desperately. Without a second thought, we raced off to the opening, with Johnathan on the other side.

"Go ahead I'll hold it off!" I yelled pushing her through.

As the last of her disappeared through the other side, I noticed something though.

"Y/N It's closing!" Johnathan's disembodied voice yelled.

"Shit!" I lifted up my axe and began to hack through to the other side. "Shit shit shit!" I screamed, the Demogorgon getting closer and closer at each hit.

"You're going to have to just go for it Y/N! Take my hand!" Johnathan's hand stuck through the hole and I grabbed it gladly, half being pulled, half crawling my way to the other side. Then the worst pain ripped through my lower left leg. I screamed louder than I ever had before, as I felt the monster's claws dig into my leg. Suspended between two worlds, It became a game of tug-of-war. Johnathan and Nancy were now both pulling at my upper body trying to bring me back to their side. I kicked and screamed until my heel came in contact with the monster, forcing it to unlatch its grip. With the released force, I was yanked through to the real world, into the arms of Nancy and Johnathan.

Sobs wracked through me as we sat there for a moment, in-taking what had just happened to the three of us. "My god, Y/N you're bleeding badly," Nancy said grabbing her backpack from Johnathan.

"No shit, Wheeler," I mumbled, my eyes closed to try and shut out the pain.

She pulled out a water bottle and some bandages rinsing off the wound before wrapping it. The cut wasn't deep, but it'd definitely leave a scar. "Can you stand?" Johnathan asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine, I've got it." I struggled to stand up, leaning on him for support but I got there eventually.

"It's a longer walk to the car, I can carry you if you want? I don't want you walking right now, Y/N," Johnathan offered.

No No no do you know how humiliating that would be?

"I've got this, Byers, I'm not weak."

"I never said you were," He assured me, putting my arm over his shoulder, anchoring my bad side.

I sighed. There was no way they weren't going to help me was there?

"I need you guys to talk, the silence is driving me insane," I said after a while. We were within sight of the car, and neither had said a word the whole way.

"I just, can't get that thing out of my head," Nancy muttered quietly.

"Yeah me either."

"What matters now is that you guys are safe. No more going into passageways to other dimensions and we'll all be fine, alright?"