Chapter 26

I anxiously sat in the Wheeler's driveway, trying to stall going inside for as long as possible. Why was I anxious to go see three teenage boys? I don't know. Maybe it was that uneasy feeling that hadn't left me since the power outage two days ago. Maybe I was annoyed that they had blackmailed me into hanging out with them in the first place.

But I finally went in. Karen opened the front door with a pleasant smile. "Hi Mrs. Wheeler! Are you not going to the pool today?" I asked, seeing as she was in shorts and a t-shirt, which was unusual for her. I figured she'd be sunbathing or something.

"No, the paper says it's going to rain," She said, ushering me inside. "The boys are downstairs."

"Thank you," I smiled and made my way to the basement. It was completely silent as I descended. Will was there, standing at the very edge of the stairs dressed as... a purple wizard. What the hell did I just walk in on?

"They're asleep still," he muttered, gesturing to the couch and letting me finish descending the stairs. I took in the room; the trash everywhere, food all over the table, and Lucas and Mike asleep on the couch. Wearing the same clothes as yesterday. I could smell the sweaty teenage boy seeping through the room.

I need to introduce them to deodorant.

"God, it smells like shit!" I said loudly, attempting to wake them up.

"YES?!" Lucas yelled, shooting up from his slumber with a jolt.

"Y/N? What are you doing here?" Mike mumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"It's 8:00. You told me to be here?" I reminded him, crossing my arms. "Look if you want me to come back later, I can-"

"No!" Lucas said, hopping up and walking towards me. "We need you Y/N! We need the girls back, and you're the only one who can help us!"

"They hate us! What do we do?" Mike whined, flopping on his back, over the arm of the couch.

"Have you tried calling them?" I suggested.

"We can do that?" Mike asked, sitting up straight again.

"You guys are hopeless," I sighed.

"What would we even say?" Lucas asked.

"We'll say nothing! We're not worrying about them, okay?" Will yelled, picking up a staff and hitting play on a walkman on the table. Jovial tavern music filled the room, and Will stood tall. "Today, we're going to play the campaign I've been working on. Today is a day... free of girls!" He spoke like he was presenting a presidential speech, and Lucas and Mike continued to rub the sleep out of their eyes.

"What is happening right now?" I asked, looking between the three boys.

"The party has been avoiding this campaign all month, and we were supposed to play yesterday when Dustin got back. But we spent it following Eleven and Max around like lost puppies instead," Will rolled his eyes. "Come on guys, please?"

"We need Dustin to play," Mike excused quickly.

"I'll play for Dustin," I offered. Will's face lit up as Lucas's and Mike's fell.

"Really? I'll get his character sheets!" Will said excitedly, running upstairs. Once he left, I shut off the music and sat down on the couch.

"Okay why are you guys being asses?" I asked.

"We're not! Just because we don't want to play a game," Mike rolled his eyes, sitting on the floor across from me.

"He's been working hard on this thing, right?" I waited until they nodded before I continued. "So let him have this! You guys have been leaving him out all summer."