Chapter 28

Down, down, down, and down.

Down.

And down.

Down, and down, and down, and holy fuck will this thing ever stop.

I'm screaming.

Robin is screaming.

Steve is screaming.

Erica and Dustin are clinging to each other, screaming.

"WHATS GOING ON?" Robin yells over our screams of terror. The blood is rushing to my head by how fast we're dropping and it feels like we left my insides a few stories up.

"OH SHIT, OH SHIT!" Dustin is screaming, with Erica clawing on to his waist as if it will keep her from falling.

"WE'RE GOING DOWN! WE'RE GOING DOWN!" Steve yells, grabbing on to the closest person next to him. Me.

"NO SHIT HARRINGTON!" Robin screams back, clinging on to the shelving behind her like her life depends on it.

I hold on to Steve's arms around my waist, and squeeze my eyes closed. "WHAT DO WE DO?" I asked.

"WHY WON'T THESE BUTTONS WORK?" Dustin squealed, having migrated his and Erica's tangle of bodies to the keypad, pressing rapidly on every button and switch he could get his hands on. Erica started slamming on them too.

"JUST PRESS THE BUTTON!" Erica demanded.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK I'M DOING?" Dustin yelled back.

"COME ON JUST PRESS SOMETHING!" Steve yelled at the kids, directly into my eardrums. I jerked my head away, but he holds me tighter, assuming I was falling.

I thought my head has finally stopped spinning and had a decent grasp on the situation around me, until the room comes to a sudden and complete stop. Steve, with his arms still latched around my waist in a death grip, stumbles backwards pulling me down directly on top of him. "STEVE!" I yelp as we collapse.

There's a chorus of groans from the rest of the group. Boxes tumble and one briefly lands on my foot before tumbling away.

"Oh my groin," Steve gasps. I shoot up at the realization of the location of my elbow. "Y/N, my groin."

"I'm so sorry," I spew quickly, tumbling off him and into the air faster than ever. "Are you okay??"

"YEAH I'M GREAT! NOW THAT I KNOW THAT RUSSIANS CAN'T DESIGN ELEVATORS!" Steve yelled, pushing Dustin aside to examine the keypad. I flinched at his raised voice, and grabbed Dustin when he was launched my way.

I grabbed him by the shoulders and looked him up and down. I wordlessly asked him if he was okay. He nodded.
I then went to Erica, wearing a helmet with flashlights taped to it on her head. Good. At least her head was protected from those falling boxes.

"I think we've clearly established that those buttons don't work," Robin said, standing up from where she had collapsed against the shelving when the room stopped dropping.

"They're BUTTONS! They have to do SOMETHING!" Steve yells again, reminding me of his current breakdown. He was screwing around with the panel on the wall, repeatedly tapping on every key and button within his reach.

I rushed over to pull him away, and glanced at the panel. Beneath all the red and green buttons was a slot to slide a card. "Oh my god you dumbasses," I sighed.

"What?" Steve asked.

"It needs a keycard," Robin supplied, examining it as well. "It's an electronic lock. Same as the loading door. If we don't have a keycard, it won't operate. Meaning:"