chapter 2

Getting in an argument with your best friend is uncomfortable, but it's not as uncomfortable as overhearing one of your friends lose her virginity from upstairs. I tried. I tried to just ignore it, because I knew I had to take her home still, but it was so embarrassing. 

Once Steve had gone, Tommy and Carol switched up too. I sat on the side of the room listening to Steve's parent's radio, while the couple played a really gross game I would like to call, "Let's roleplay as Steve and Nancy having sex for the first time, and pretend that Y/N isn't here!"

So I got up and left pretty quickly. I walked right out the front door and into my car. The only problem was: I had no clue what I was going to do. I promised Mrs. Wheeler that I would bring Nancy home, but I definitely did not want to interrupt whatever was happening... up there. But I still needed to get Dustin from the Wheeler's house, because it's a school night and I definitely wasn't going to let him just stay there for the night.

Then I remembered. "Oh shit, yeah!" I said out loud. I reached behind me into my back seat, and grabbed My walkie-talkie out of my bag. Once I got into range of the Wheeler's house, I could call Dustin and tell him to sneak out to my car. That way he could leave through the back without raising any alarms from the parents. I'm such a genius.

I drove to the Wheeler's house until I was about a mile away, and turned the walkie on. "Dustin, this is Y/N do you copy?" Nothing but static responded. "I repeat, Dustin this is Y/N, do you copy?"

"Jesus Y/N, you scared the living shit out of me!" Dustin responded after a second.

"Yeah well I will explain everything as soon as I can, but I need you to sneak out the back door and go to my car across the street."

"Wait, where's Nancy?"

"I said I'll explain later!"

"Fine, fine, sheesh I'm on my way."

The walkie-talkie went back to static. A few minutes later I saw Dustin heading towards my car, so I unlocked the door and turned down my music to greet him. "Hey kid, how was Mike's?"

"Uhhhh... it was goooood," he dragged.

"Dustin you are the worst liar on planet earth. Tell me what's going on. I swear I won't be upset or mad, or whatever you're afraid I will be. It's just scary times and I want to know what's up with my little bro."

"You know I could ask you that exact same question," Dustin said, staring me down with suspicion. "Why did I have to sneak around at the Wheeler's?"

"Alright, listen here. I will tell you what's happening in my little world. Only if you share with me too, afterwards. How does that sound?"

"A slightly unfair trade, seeing as my information is probably much more confidential than yours, but proceed Milord, I am all ears."

"You are such a dork sometimes, you know that?" I smiled. "Ok so..."

It took the whole car ride home to tell my story to my brother. No, I did not tell him that Steve and Nancy were sleeping together. Or that we all had drinks tonight. He's still only in like, sixth grade, and I need to set a good example while I still can.

"In conclusion, If Mrs. Wheeler caught me alone, without Nancy, we'd all be in deep shit." I pulled my car into the garage and turned it off. "Now your turn."

Dustin fidgeted in his seat.

"Come on you can tell me! When have I ever ratted on you, or made it seem like you can't trust me?"

"Uh that one time when I was using the cooking torch for a science experiment-"

"Dustin you were like 8!"