No one can replace you!

I am really really upset about Virat's dismissal yesterday. It just hurts. I know he is gonna make a comeback in tests in this series, but still I can't help but feel bad about his run in tests. So writing this as this is the only place which distracts from all that.
Reading tweets against him 😭..

End of Day 3, Dressing room:

Rahul bhai: Ro, extremely proud of you to have played that innings with complete maturity, patience and determination. Jaddu and Axar, the partnership which you have built is making our stand so strong. Very well done. Ash and Jaddu with the 5-fer, incredible! Congratulations guys, top effort.

Everyone in the dressing room congratulated them and got to pack their stuff.

Rahul bhai noticed that Virat is just avoiding his gaze. And this was not just today but was going from one week or so, from the day they had set up this camp for practice.

Rahul bhai: Virat, how about we go to dinner somewhere? I am sure you must be knowing some nice place nearby.

Virat again didn't meet his eyes and pretended to pack his kit which was already packed.

Virat: bhai wo I have some work, why don't you take Ro? He knows the place, I took him there. So next time may be. Sorry.

He said and went to the bus avoiding everyone who were in his way, even Rohit.

Rahul bhai: Ro, what's wrong with Virat?

Rohit: What do you mean bhai?

Rahul bhai: He always seems to avoid me, doesn't talk much with me since this preparation has started. I dont know if I have done something wrong or..

Rohit: bhai, you have done nothing. I am sure something else must be bothering him. I will talk to him, dont you worry.

Rohit took seat beside Virat gaining his attention which was outside the window lost in thoughts.

Virat: kya?

Rohit: kya?

Virat: aise kyu dekh raha hai?

Rohit: kaise?

Virat: with your questioning look? meko baat nhi karni hai whatever u are gonna ask..

Rohit: aur baat na karne se kya ho jayega? Whatever is bothering you, will it go away? Anway, Rahul bhai wanted to know if he has done anything to upset you are you are not talking to him.

Virat just sighed at that and rested his head on Rohit's shoulder. Rohit patted himself as Virat did that, it was progress to get through his stubborn friend.

They reached the hotel and their room. Rohit went to Virat's room only to see him in balcony gazing stars.

Virat: you should talk to Rahul bhai and bench me for next match, I am nothing but burden now on this test team.

Rohit looked at Virat who was looking extremely defeated and slumped.

Rahul bhai: Sure Virat, anything else you want? Besides not talking to me or discussing with me?

They both turned and saw Rahul bhai standing there with a stern look. He had come with dinner to have it with Virat and then he and Ro could talk to him.

Rahul bhai: Virat, why don't you let me and Rohit decide that whether we should play you or not?

Virat just looked down not meeting his eyes.

Rohit whispered to Rahul bhai: bhai aise daanto mat, warna overthinking karke bimar ho jaana hai humesha ki tarah!

Rahul bhai composed himself hearing that from Rohit. He went towards Virat and made him sit. He sat in front of him.

Rahul bhai: I will ask you once and if u consider me as ur big brother and Rohit as your best friend, you will answer my question. What's going on in your mind? Share with us kiddo!

He added last bit softly cupping Virat's cheeks only to find wet and moist eyes.

Virat: I am nothing but a failure bhai. Burden on the team, mere wajah se lower order is also in pressure. Because I cannot perform. I haven't scored a decent 50 bhai! I just don't know what's wrong with me. You must be so disappointed in me. I could not perform in my favourite format and yours too. I have done nothing but let team down in tests with my performance. Let you both down! And not to forget catch drops (sadly chuckled).

Rohit and Rahul bhai felt how sad Virat felt. They knew how he took pride in performing for the team.

Rohit sat beside him and put his arm around his shoulders. Rahul bhai took his hands in his.

Rahul bhai: Cheeku listen to me, it's just a phase. Jaise white ball mai tha kuch din, waise red ball mai hai. It takes time to get back the rhythm from white ball to red ball. I know others have performed, but it's okay and not to forget also ur dismissal was bit unlucky. We believe in you Virat, your abilities to win match single handedly. It's just matter of time kiddo. And we have matches left. So you can make a stronger comeback going further bacha. And you can never disappoint us kiddo. Never ever! Fit that into ur chotu brain.

Virat and Rohit both smiled at that.

Rohit: ha Vi, bhai sahi keh rahe hai! Not to forget u have played so many brilliant test knocks when team was completely down. And against quality attack. Ek match hi hua hai, we have whole series to go. And catch drop, I know you are gonna work on it. Hota hai, it was just a bad day. Aur tujhe bench karke kisko lenge pagal, no one can replace you and your quality. Understand Mr. Buddhu overthinker.

Virat smiled amidst tears. Rahul bhai hugged him tightly, "we will get through this phase too". Rohit joined the hug too.

"Thank you" whispered Virat.

_______

Only this could calm me down I guess after that dismissal.

I am really hoping Virat makes a comeback in Delhi infront of his stand and his home ground. Can't wait for that to happen.

Not to forget, What a knock by Ro (will be writing a seperate shot on that), and incredible contributions by Ash, Jaddu (what a comeback by Sir Jadeja after injury) and Axar.

Happy Reading.