Chapter 2

The next day Espresso woke up both nervous and excited. Today he would meet Red velvet, his new friend. He even rescheduled all his work. He wasn't actually sure if Red velvet was actually his friend for real, but he hoped he was. This was his first friend since forever.

Espresso had no idea what he should bring for lunch, or even wear. They were having lunch where they had met, in the forest, so he thought it may be a good idea to make some sandwiches or something. He liked his sandwiches perfectly though, how was he going to be able to perfect a formula for it so quickly? He didn't even know what kind of sandwiches Red velvet liked. 

He hurried down the stairs to the kitchen while debating on sandwich types. Espresso finally came to a conclusion to just make some grilled cheese sandwiches for them. Maybe he should get them drinks as well, but again, he had no clue on what Red velvet liked to drink. He quickly made some steaming hot Espresso and poured it into a travel mug. While he drank the leftovers, he thought of a solution. He could give him Coffees with Espresso shots, or juice boxes, or milk tea, or treat him somewhere... or all! Perfect, he could pack them all.  

After quickly preparing the food, Espresso scrambled up the stairs to his room to find something to wear. Since they were casually meeting, Espresso decided to wear his usual outfit - a simple black robe and cape. He then quickly dashed out the door with the food in a basket when he realized he forgot to bring the gift for Red velvet. 

He quickly sprinted into his house again and grabbed the treat and little shoes he prepared for Chiffon. Last night he had to pull something together, but luckily he had already started something similar to the little shoes a while back. He checked his watch and let out a relieved sigh. It read 10:46, meaning he still had some time to spare thankfully. Without a moment to waste he marched out the door with everything this time, and walked into the woods.

When he arrived, Red velvet was nowhere in sight, yet it was nearly 11. Espresso's mood dropped and he sat down. The more he waited, the more anxious he got. It has nearly been 10 minutes, where was he?

What if he thought that I was too weird yesterday and ditched me? What if he forgot? Espresso thought sadly. 

This always happens, he gets his hopes up too high they ditch him. No one liked him so might as well just go home. Just as he stood up and was about to leave, Red velvet burst out into the clearing. 

"Espresso!" Red velvet said loudly, "So sorry I'm late!"

Espresso stopped and asked, "and why is that?"

"Well..." Red velvet muttered, "You are -were - part of the cookies of darkness... right?"

"How do you-"

"Well I did see your face before you left us. So the good thing is I'm allowed to talk to you, Pomegranate cookie allowed me," he said cautiously, as if if he slipped up Espresso would become furious, "I wasn't able to come earlier because she cornered me and allowed me to come in only one condition.."

Now Espresso had a bad feeling in his stomach, and he stepped away slightly from the trees. He summoned a bit of coffee magic just in case. "Don't tell me you brought that bi-"

"Watch it," a voice said sharply among the trees, "You don't know what I can do to you."

It was her.. Espresso realized shocked, and also surprised that she hadn't attacked yet. 

"Step out from the shadows you coward, or would you like to be burnt to crisp?" he challenged, raising his hand with a coffee bean swirling and flaming around it. 

"Now now, she isn't going t-" Red velvet stuttered nervously but got interrupted by laughter.

"Me? a coward? You were the one who left us."

 A red haired cookie wearing all red with beautiful jewels dangling about and a mirror in her hand stepped out of the shadows of the forest. 

Pomegranate cookie stood in front of Espresso with a poisonous smile and said, "Why hello there Espresso, long time no see."

______________________________________________________

Word count: 713

Ok, I know this one was shorter than the last one, but I thought it would make things more interesting if I ended off there than if I ended off at exactly 1000 or so words. I'm still on vacation, but I'm leaving soon Plus I have to post on you tube as well.

- Crimson

Written: 07/14/22
Edited: 02/14/23