Chapter 21

Espresso's Pov

I woke up with my head pounding, and my vision blurred. My vision was still blurry after several blinks and I couldn't feel my glasses on me, meaning I was pretty much blind. I raised my hand to push some of my hair strands that were in my face away when I received a sharp pain in my wrists.

Although it was dark and everything was blurred, I could tell something was seriously wrong. I attempted to move my legs but I couldn't. My wrists were bound together with something heavy and my right foot was chained to the floor. I had a feeling I looked quite pathetic in my current stance.

I tried using my magic, but instead, a strong shock hit my head from my neck making me yelp. I staggered up, slowly, so I wouldn't trip. This was indeed very bad.. who did this? My mind instantly flashed to Doppia. She must have slipped sleeping pills into my cake or something. Arghh... I knew she was good for nothing. That mother fucking-

As if on cue, a yellow light flickered on in the background partially blinding me, and I heard a door creak open. Suddenly, my glasses were shoved roughly onto my face and I found myself staring into Doppia's back as she exited my jail-like cell.

"You!" I growled, my throat feeling raw, "Let me out bitch!"

I had a feeling I was losing my manners and way of my usual way of speaking out of furiousness. Well, she didn't deserve any politeness at all. 

"Tsk, you're so childish," she scoffed and I heard her locking the prison door shut, "Please, do me a favour and quiet down."

"Excuse me? What kind of shitty mother are you?" I yelled pissed, before breaking off into coughs.

"I'm a mother who wished you were never born," Doppia snapped at me, "Well, I'm kind of glad you were born actually. Now I get money for you handing you over. Isn't that great?"

"How would Latte think?" I asked as I quickly thought about possibilities to escape, "Also why does my throat feel so awfully sore? How long have I been out?"

She flinched when I said Latte's name. At least she has some heart left, but it was barely much. She was willing to sell me to fulfill personal greed.

"Then she won't find out," Doppia said, shrugging her shoulders, "And shut up after I answer your questions, you annoying twerp. You might lose your voice if you keep using it, not that I care." 

"It started raining when we were halfway here so you got drizzled on. You've been out for nearly half a day and spent one hour here. Ugh, all that caffeine makes you wake so much earlier than a normal cookie."

She narrowed her eyes at me then slammed open the door and I raised an eyebrow at her sudden action. Doppia walked to me and we both stayed silent. She stood over me glaring daggers and I stared back equally deadly, yet wondering what she wanted.

Out of nowhere, she raised her arm and before I could react, she gave me a hard slap on the face.  I bit my lip from whimpering. I refuse to show someone like her fear, but my legs gave away and I found myself kneeling in front of her. 

That slap was due to leave some mark for a while, unfortunately. I could feel my cheek throbbing and burning up, and I felt the red spread across my cheek.

If I make it out I'll make sure she gets something more permanent. No, I will make it out, there's no question about that... but I'm starting to have my doubts. Would anyone in the kingdom even care? No, I'm an ex-cookies of darkness whom several cookies fear, not love.

"That's for wasting my time and magic on a scum like you," She spat and I stayed in a silent position, looking down at the floor, "The rain made my hair all frizzy!"