XI | Journals

⤠ ≻  ◈  ≺ ⤟

⤠ ≻ ◈ ≺ ⤟

Elliot's voice slammed against Clementine's eardrums the second he got back to their dorm. "Where were you?" he asked from the desk under the window. He sat there with a book in his hands, staring over at him.

          Clementine sighed. What was he going to say? He shrugged as he pushed the door shut behind him. "In the library."

          "You should just bring whatever you're reading up there here like me—or did you forget that walking around alone is literally the stupidest thing anyone can do right now?"

          "Don't lecture me," he complained, heading for his room.

          Elliot stood up. "Wait," he insisted.

          With an exasperated sigh, Clementine stopped in his tracks and looked over at him. "What?"

          "Something weird is going on."

          He scoffed. "You're only just noticing?"

          "No, like..." he paused and looked around cautiously. "I don't know. The whole place just went...freezing. It happened last week—the night Molly died, actually, and I just thought that maybe I'd left a window open, but this time, I know that I didn't."

          So, the entire academy's temperature dropped when that happened? He turned to face Elliot. "You hear the whispers too?"

          He nodded. "It's like...I don't know, maybe this place is—"

          "Haunted."

          "Yeah."

          Clementine shrugged. "Wouldn't surprise me." He headed over to his door and pushed it open. "Did those arachnoids tell the professors about Carmichael?"

          "Not that I know of," Elliot answered, sitting back down. "They're all gonna come after us—I know it." He shook his head and dragged his hand over his face. "I told them it was a stupid idea—I told them this would happen, but no one ever listens to me!" he exclaimed, a look of distress smothering his face.

          With yet another sigh, Clementine took his hand off his door handle and turned to face him. He wasn't exactly the consoling type, but he didn't want to have to listen to Elliot whingeing and panicking all night long. "If they're going after anyone, it's Carmichael, Stanley, and Bernard. You didn't do anything."

          "They're not going to see it that way—I was there! So were you—well...until you weren't. Why did you leave?"

          "Because I don't want to be involved, that's why. I don't need some freaky spider people on my ass."