XXXV | Runes and Charms

⤠ ≻  ◈  ≺ ⤟

⤠ ≻ ◈ ≺ ⤟

Clementine hadn't seen Sebastien for two days. He'd made sure to drag Elliot, Mavis, and Mathew around the academy with him three times a day—he'd even wandered off on his own for a few moments to see if that would make him show his face. But nothing. And as he stared down at his specially prepared All-Hallows' Eve lunch, his impatience and anger started to become dismay and disappointment.

          It had all been a little too good to be true, hadn't it? The guy that was making his life hard so happened to want to help him on his quest to kill the Ravenblood. This guy that could kill three students with his bare hands and possessed incredible investigatory skills wanted to assist him. And then he disappeared. Of course he did. How could Clementine get so lucky? Yet again, his hope had been torn away from him, and now, he had to work out how he was going to deal with the remaining Ravenblood on his own. Well, he had his allies, but after what Sebastien had told him about the Ravenblood President, he wasn't convinced Mathew would be enough.

          "What's wrong, Clemytine?" Mavis asked, leaning over the lunch table to look at his pouty face. "You've barely touched your special All-Hallows' Eve pumpkin wine."

          "Or the pie—don't you like pie, Clementine?" Mathew asked.

          He sighed, prodding at the cherry pie slice on his plate with his fork. "I'm not really hungry." Then, he looked at Elliot's untouched plate. "You've barely touched anything either."

          But Elliot smiled. "I'm saving room for the party tonight. There's going to be all sorts of special occasion foods. Candy apples, pumpkin pie, apple bread, and let's not forget soul cakes!"

          While Elliot fantasized over the foods he'd mentioned, Mathew sighed and looked over at Clementine. "Have you still not heard from your Sebastien?"

          "No," he muttered quietly.

          "I am sure he will turn up."

          He nodded, glaring down at his pie. The more he thought about the loss and the possibility he'd not be able to beat his enemies, the worse he felt. He sighed, looking over at Elliot. "Did you get a reply from Carmichael's friend yet?"

          "No, but I don't think I'll get anything until after the holiday. I'm hoping for something tomorrow or the day after."

          "I think your friends are okay, Elly," Mavis said, patting Elliot's hand. "They are probably just busy getting back into the swing of normal life. I'm sure it's a huge change, going from looking over your shoulder every day to no longer being possible prey."

          "Yeah," he said with a sigh.

          "Everything will work out for us all," she said with a nod. "I have heard good things come when you answer this particular god's call."