XLIII | The Leshen in the Woods

⤠ ≻  ◈  ≺ ⤟

⤠ ≻ ◈ ≺ ⤟

Clementine slowly made his way through a deserted corridor. He did his best to keep himself calm, but the sound of five voices behind him was making that a little hard. He didn't want to look over his shoulder and risk enticing his pursuers to chase him, but he was pretty sure Lori had brought two of her wolf walker friends with her as well as Reece and Jackson. Handling three people by himself seemed a tedious task for Sebastien, but five? Could he handle that?

          A conflicted frown clung to his face as he turned into another corridor. He set his eyes on the doorway at the end. With each step he took, he felt a surge of angst ripple through him. What if Sebastien got really hurt? What if he was killed? No...that wouldn't happen. Sebastien wasn't that careless. He was one of the last surviving law students, after all. But he couldn't help but fret. As much as he hated admitting it, he needed Sebastien's help—now more than ever. If he died or became too injured to assist, then Clementine wasn't sure what he was going to do.

          He had to stop panicking and focus on what he was doing right now. If this was going to work out, he needed to be calm, collected, and ready for anything. So, he took a deep breath and continued heading for the lounge. But as he watched a girl he'd seen hanging out with Ian stand in the doorway, he gritted his teeth and frowned in dread.

          "Where are you going?" came Lori's voice.

          Clementine stopped in his tracks before he got too close to the girl blocking the doorway. He looked over his shoulder, setting his eyes on Lori and her four friends. They'd all stopped walking, glaring at him, some with smirks, others with scowls. Lori cracked her knuckles, Jackson flexed his talon-tipped fingers, and Clementine...his instinct to bolt immediately struck him.

          And that's what he did.

          Without a second thought, he hurried down the corridor to his left and sprinted past the empty classrooms. The sound of the group's chasing footsteps echoed behind him, and not even five seconds into fleeing, his legs started aching, his head began to spin, and he felt as though he was about to throw up any moment.

          But he couldn't stop. He ran and ran, turning left, right, and through an empty hall. Lori's group called his name, bellowed their threats, and started gaining on him.

          Panting, his heart racing, his limbs aching, Clementine frantically looked around, trying to work out where he was and how he could get to the lounge where Sebastien was waiting, but he was so overwrought with panic and fatigue that he had no time to work out which part of the academy he was in.

          What was he supposed to do? Should he call for Sebastien? Would he even hear him? He scowled, racing towards the doorway up ahead. Daylight spewed in from the left wall beyond the door, and when he saw the paintings lined along the walls, he discovered that he was actually approaching the academy's main entrance.