XX | Mathew and Mavis

⤠ ≻  ◈  ≺ ⤟

⤠ ≻ ◈ ≺ ⤟

Clementine let out a long yawn as he followed Elliot out of magick studies. Out of all the classes he was taking, it was probably the one he hated the most. Magick circles and the study of ethos didn't interest him. He wasn't a witch or a wizard. He already knew everything he needed to know and staying awake in that room was probably the hardest thing he'd had to do since arriving—other than surviving his three near-death encounters.

          He followed Elliot down the hall and towards Mavis' art class. He wasn't looking forward to hearing her squeaky, enthusiastic voice, nor did he want to listen to her rhyme every time she spoke. Why did she even do that? Was it a fae thing? Did she just do it because she thought it made her sound quirky?

          "Elliot!" came her cheery voice.

          Rolling his eyes, Clementine sighed deeply and tried his best to keep a vacant stare.

          "Hey Mavis," Elliot called as she hurried over to them.

          "Hi Clementiney!" she greeted, taking hold of his hand, which she then shook furiously.

          He grinned awkwardly. "Yeah...hi again."

          "We're going to go and meet Mathew, just like we planned," Elliot said, already leading the way back down the hall. "We can get out through the lounge up ahead."

          As they walked, Clementine kept checking every corner. He didn't know when Ian was going to strike, and he couldn't afford to be careless. And every time he saw something shift in the corner of his eye, he frantically turned to see who or what it was.

          "Have you done much swimming?" Elliot asked him.

          He glanced over at him. "What?"

          "Swimming—did you do much before?"

          "Here and there," he mumbled. He wasn't about to tell him he and Anette swum in the murky swamps in search of the only meat they could get out in Itamore. "When are you going to send your letter to Carmichael?" he asked, changing the subject—he didn't want to let Elliot ask him about where he'd come from again.

          Elliot shrugged as they walked through the lounge. "I'm going to do it tomorrow morning before we head to Professor Quincy's office."

          "Why do you have to go there on the weekend? Did you two do something I wouldn't recommend?" Mavis asked curiously.

          "We were talking in class," Elliot mumbled.

          "And Quincy gave us detention."

          Mavis giggled.

          "I honestly think it's super unfair, but whatever," Elliot complained, pushing the door open.