LIII | The Wolf, The Bear, and The Raven

⤠ ≻  ◈  ≺ ⤟

⤠ ≻ ◈ ≺ ⤟

Clementine's desperation became frustration as he, Mathew, and Mavis hurried through the academy halls in search of Sebastien. He'd lost sight of him when he'd turned into the corridor they were now walking through, and Clementine suspected he'd either disappeared into another of the secret passages he knew Sebastien used or had simply disappeared into a wall again. He knew he wasn't going to find him, but he felt too stubborn to just give up.

          But when the air around them began to return to its usual temperature, and the whispers died down, Clementine slowed and came to a halt with an annoyed huff. Why the hell did Sebastien do that? Was it really so important that he got to a murder scene first now that he was about to hand in the murderer of every Ravenblood student?

          He sighed irritably and dragged his hand over his face as he turned to face Mathew and Mavis.

          "Why did he leave so fast? Did he have to get to class?" Mavis asked.

          "Something like that," he grumbled. "Come on, we should get back."

          The three of them headed back the way they'd come, but despite the whispers having faded, Clementine couldn't shake the feeling that he was being watched. Every step he took seemed to tease something which eagerly waited to pounce. He stuck close to his allies, walking a little faster.

          "Should we go back to the lounge?" Mathew asked.

          Mavis nodded. "Maybe Sebastien will come back. It also seems like a good place to avoid an attack."

          "Yeah," Clementine uttered, but when they turned into the next corridor, he came to an abrupt halt, setting his eyes on the two kids waiting outside the lounge they had left to chase Sebastien.

          Clementine stared in trepidation, a shiver of unsettling angst racing through his stiff body. He heard some sort of hostile growl come from Mathew, and Mavis hid behind them both. Clementine shuddered as the duo moved away from the wall and stood in front of the door, glaring right at him. It took him a moment, but he was pretty sure he'd seen both of their faces in the student files. The black-haired boy was Benjamin, and the tall, furrow-faced girl at his side was Kristen...or was she Jasmine? It didn't matter. They were Ravenblood—that was what mattered.

          "What do you want?" Mathew growled, clenching his fists.

          "They were with Ian," Clementine uttered, trying his best to hide how nervous he was feeling without Sebastien there to back them up. If he wasn't in such a terrible state, he and Mathew would surely make easy work of these two. There were only two of them, though. Could Mathew deal with them on his own?

          "Guys," Mavis uttered fearfully.

          They looked over their shoulders, setting their sights on another two kids, who had stepped into the corridor from the way they'd just come from. One of them was definitely Ravenblood, but the scruffier guy's eyes shimmered in the lantern light. Wolf walker.