Kitchen Scissors

Nick's head was tucked into the crook of my neck as his arms were still wrapped around my waist. His thumb and forefinger rubbed at the bottom hem of my shirt. The table behind me was just barely brushing up against my lower back as I mindlessly traced my fingers against his shoulder blade with my other hand resting on the back of his neck.

I couldn't keep the smile off my face. Even with my bottom lip between my teeth, the smile was still breaking through. Tilting my head back to look up at the ceiling of the range, I let out a shaky breath that I didn't realize I was keeping in.

He likes me. He wanted to kiss me. We were really stupid, but hey, we got over it. We figured it out... eventually.

My heart was beating so loud I could hear it in my ears. My fingers felt tingly from the feeling of having him wrapped around me so tight. This felt completely different from the empty hollow feeling from an hour ago. Was it even an hour ago? What happened at the gates felt like days ago. Running away and to the greenhouses to find Mom had to be-

Running to the greenhouse to find Mom-

Find Mom-

"Oh, fuck!" I yelled as I flailed around in Nick's grasp. "Mom! Oh my god!"

Nick let out a hiss as he flinched away from me. I probably yelled straight into his ear, but that didn't matter. Actually, it helped to get him to pull away far enough so I could slip right under his arm and stumble my way to the front door of the range.

"Ow, fuck, Kate. What the hell?" Nick rubbed at his ear as dirt kicked up around my feet due to me skidding to a stop to unlock the door, but my hands were shaking and not working properly.

"My mom! She's gotta be worried sick! Someone probably told her by now and- Fuck! Open up!" I gritted my teeth in frustration before kicking the door, having absolutely no patience whatsoever in my body for a stupid lock.

I let out a breath of hot air as I wrapped both hands around the doorknob to try and pull it open by force but nothing was budging. I already flicked the deadbolt the right way, but the knob just rattled like it was taunting me.

Nick simply raised an eyebrow at me as he watched. Without another word, he walked up behind me and slowly peeled my hands off and stuck his thumb into the center of the knob. The button popped out immediately. He twisted the knob and the door swung open without a complaint.

"Oh," I said sheepishly with my lips pressed together. "I thought there was just a deadbolt." I turned my head over my shoulder to look at him. His face was blank except for his eyebrows that were slightly raised. Patting his cheek lightly with my hand, I said, "Thank you," and then fucking booked it in the direction of my house.

"Whoa! Wait, Kate!" Nick shook his head in shock.

"Nope, no waiting!" I yelled back and I ran as fast as I could, leaving Nick in the dust. Getting home was my first and only priority right now.

She had to be at home. My uncle too. Someone had to have gone to get them from wherever they were to let them know what happened.

Wait, Mom was already at home. She was still sleeping when Alex and Morgan came to give me the kick in the ass I needed. She wasn't at the greenhouses. I found Kristin instead. She had to be at home. Where was my uncle then? He's gotta be at home too. Either that or he's at the construction site of the new preschool.

... the new preschool.

"Yeah, got a good bit of families starting to settle permanently. They like it here, feel safe. You and your team are doing good work."

That's what my uncle said a week ago. I doubt that still holds true now.

The porch light was on as the sight of my house came into view and next thing I knew; my hand was on the knob of my front door and swinging it open. I didn't feel out of breath as I stood in the doorway to see Mom sitting at the dining room table and Mike leaning his back against the island. Both of their heads shot up at the sound of me opening the door.