«Çhåptër 15»

The Funeral*

» It was the morning of the funeral. I sighed, getting out my dress (or suit if you want) and putting it on. I looked in the mirror and smoothed it down. I walked to the bedroom me and Max were staying in, putting my pjs away.

I sat on the bed, feeling a bit moody from lack of sleep. It seemed lately that sleep was against me. I would either stay up, not being able to sleep or have a nightmare. I looked like shit, but who was going to judge me. I especially wasn't excited about going to work after today. 

"You ready?" Henry asked outside the room.

I shook my head and looked up at him. "Yes.." I responded and sat up.

Henry looked at me with a worried expression, but didn't make me talk. I was glad that the Emily's weren't trying to force me and Max to talk to them. Emilie and Henry gave us our space and their kids, Charlie and Sammy, tried to cheer us up. It was nice living with them and not by ourselves. I don't know what I would've done by myself with Max.

We went outside. Henry and me parted and I went to my car while he went to his. We decided it would be easier to take separate cars since Henry, Emilie, and their kids were going. So, there wouldn't be any room for me and Max. I was fine with it, since I hadn't driven my car in awhile. I started the car and we were off.

"Hey, (Y/N)?" Max asked, breaking the silence.

"Hm?" I hummed, focusing on the road.

"Why do you not like William?" He asked.

I paused, thinking for a moment. "He just gives off weird vibes. Plus, I just....I dunno have a little grudge against, I guess." I answered, shrugging.

After that, Max stayed silent. I was fine with it since I had to focus on driving. The funeral home we were going home wasn't to long away and the cemetery was pretty close to the small, silent, town. 

We arrived to the funeral home and went inside. Me and Max held hands the whole time, supporting each other.

"You both alright?" Henry muttered, softly to me as we walked to the room.

I nodded, "Yes," I mumbled back. 

Henry took this as a sign to leave us alone and nodded his head respectfully. He caught up with his family, who was almost to the room. Me and Max walked in shortly after them. We saw our grandparents and William. Everyone was here who was invited. Our grandparents looked our way and went over to me and Max.

"Oh, my dears, you feel horrible about all this." Our grandma whispered, hugging us both. We returned her loving hug.

"Our condolences go to you both, and anyone else who lost her." Our grandpa sniffed.

"Same to you both. It must be hard to loose a kid." I sighed, leaving our grandma's embrace.

She stood there, thinking. "Yes, it is. But, it was her time to go. Plus, her heart problems weren't helping her." Grandma explained, rubbing my cheek.

Max nodded, looking at the ground. I also nodded. After we talked a bit, our grandparents went to talk with Henry and Emilie for a bit. Max had gone to entertain the kids so that meant I was left alone. That was until I felt a hand on my shoulder...

I gasped and looked back to see William. Surprisingly, he had a sympathetic look on his face.

"(Y/N)," he paused, "my condolences to you and your brother. Your mother was a great person." He said, rubbing my shoulder.

I stood there, staring into his blueish-grayish eyes. "Oh, uh thanks." Is all I could get out. I looked down at the floor.

"Just so you know, you can take it easy at work when you go back. If you every need a break just tell me or Henry." He spoke up.

I rolled my eyes, "Ok, cut the act." I hissed, softly.

He furrowed his brows, "What in the hell do you mean? I'm just being nice to you." He responded, folding his arms against his chest.

I scoffed, "Yea right," I huffed out of anger.

He clenched his jaw, "(Y/N), I may be heartless at times, but this time is not the time for me to do that." He said.

I then started to feel bad that I had talked to him like that. He was right, at this time he wouldn't do that. I started to feel my eyes water but wiped it away.

"Sorry..." I mumbled.

He sighed, "It's alright, (Y/N). I get it, right now is a hard time for you." He said back. 

Then, he did something unexpected and pulled me into a hug. I didn't complain, his embrace was warm and soft. I didn't pull away and just stood there in the embrace, my head on his chest. He put a quick kiss on my head. It wasn't like something loving or anything, more like a comforting kiss.

"Come on, the funeral is starting." He muttered, pulling away from the embrace.

I nodded and followed him to a seat. I sat down by Max and William sat by me. The funeral had started and we did whatever happened at a funeral. I didn't pay full attention since my thoughts were going crazy. I guessed William saw this and put his slender hands on my shoulder. I looked over at him and flashed a smile as to thank him. He flashed a toothy one back.

It had come to the time of the burial. We all got up and went outside. We all went to the plot of where my mother was going to be buried. I sniffed softly as I watched mom's casket being put down. Max had sniffed by me too, so I grabbed his hand to comfort him.

"We will now release the doves." The guy who conducted the funeral spoke.

We had decided to do a dove thing. It was when doves got released and symbolized freeing the spirit. Even thought me and my family weren't the religious type, we had decided to do it. 

Someone went over and opened the cage where the doves were. They flew out of the cage, flying around the cemetery. Me and Max continued to hold hands.

"Now, once everyone is gone we will start to bury her. The headstone will most likely will be put in soon, depending on how soft the ground is." The guy explained.

And with that, people said there byes. Our grandparents came up to me and Max.

"It was nice seeing you two. Again, condolences for your mother. We wish we would stay longer, but we have things to do." Grandma explained, pulling me and Max into a hug.

Grandpa said his byes and hugged us also. Henry and Emilie told us they were going home with the kids. And William, well he stayed a bit longer. He did leave after about 5 minutes though. It was surprising that he was being nice to me, but hey I'm not complaining.

That just left me and Max, looking at our mother's casket.

"Do you think..." Max paused to take a shaky breath, "Do you think mom would really want us to move on?" he asked, looking at me.

I sighed, "Yes," I pause for a moment to think, "she would. She would be fine with us grieving for a bit, but not forever." I said, looking back at Max.

We sat there, in silence.

"We should probably go so they can bury her." Max muttered.

I nodded, letting go of Max's hand and walking to the car. I got in and started to drive back to Henry's.

Even though mom was gone, I knew that she would somehow maybe be with us. I knew her suffering was over.

I knew she was at peace....

~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

This honestly was a bit personal to write since I used some stuff in here that happened at my grandma's funeral. Mostly the dove part thought and a bit of the very end of this chapter. Anyways- I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! ^^