«Çhåptër 20»

Let's talk

»The next morning I didn't have work. Henry had told me it was for "legal reasons" but we all know it was the missing kids. But, I wasn't going to complain about being off work. At least I won't see the on responsible for it.

I woke up that morning, practically being blinded by the sun. I looked out the window, the leaves starting to change color. I sighed, looking over to see if Max was still in bed. He wasn't. I shrugged, also looking at the time. 10:34 a.m. it read. 

I decided not to procrastinate and get up. I stood up slowly from the bed. I stretched quickly and went out of the room. Going downstairs, I saw Max at the table eating breakfast with the kids and entertaining them. I smiled to myself. Who knew Max was good with kids.

Emilie, coming out of the kitchen, caught sight of me. "Good morning, (Y/N)!" She greeted, a huge smile on her face.

I smiled back at her, going to the table. "Morning Emile," I replied, getting my plate and putting food on it.

"So, how'd you sleep?" She asked, wiping Sammy's mouth with a rag.

I shrugged. "Fine," I sighed, putting my food down. "What about you Max?" I looked over at Max, who was almost done with his food.

He thought for a moment. I knew that he wasn't sleeping well for the past few weeks since our mom died. He was starting to look how he looked in my dream. That dream was toucher for me.

"Ok, I guess," he muttered.

I sighed softly and started to eat my breakfast. The kids finished up their food and left the table to go play. Emilie said that she would be in the kitchen cleaning stuff up if me or Max needed anything. We nodded and continued to eat. Max got done eating before me. He went upstairs to our room and I guessed he was going to change or something. I got done after awhile and put my stuff away. I went upstairs and knocked our room door.

"Come in," Max called out, softly.

I opened the door slowly and saw Max sitting on the bed, changed out of his pjs. I sighed lightly, walking over to the bed and sitting by him. He was caught off guard by this but decided to slowly put his head on my shoulder. I raised my arm and played with his hair. 

"Max," I started, getting his attention. "We really need to talk about some stuff." I continued. "Look, how about you finish up your homework and if you need any help, just ask me. Then, when your done with it, we can go and do whatever you want." I explained to him, putting my arm down from playing with his hair.

He paused, thinking about it for quite moment. "Whatever?" He asked, his voice so low I thought it was my imagination. 

"Well, there are some limits, but yes anything." I responded, smiling.

Max raised his head up from my shoulder and looked at me. "Alright, you better be for real though." He smiled, getting up.

I chuckled. "No, I'm lying about it all because I want to." I joked.

Max swatted me, playfully and we shared a laugh.

"Ok, but seriously, bud, if you need anything, and I mean anything, tell me. Alright?" I got up, putting my hands on his shoulders.

He nodded. "I will, trust me." He smiled, again.

I shook my head. "Mmm, should I trust you?" I asked, sarcastically.

Max, without my knowing, somehow got one of his slippers from the ground. He revealed it and before I could have time to react, he swatted the slipper at me, not too hard though. I ran over to the other side of the room and laughed softly.