Damaged (2)

// Daryl's POV //

I left her standing there, alone in the middle of the night. Nothing ticked me off more then her hurting herself. I knew she had done it in the past, I've seen the scars. But she actually seemed happier, why would she go backwards and do it all over again?

I stormed off to the prison, wanting to get as far away as possible. Just before I walked in, I looked over my shoulder and saw her walking back to the guard tower. She yanked both sleeves past her wrists and balled up some of the fabric in her fists, constantly wiping away the tears. It hurt to know I caused that, but I wasn't gonna go running back after a fight like that.

Everyone was basically asleep. All except for Carol, Glenn, Maggie and Rick. I tried my hardest to sneak by them, but then there's Carol.

"Daryl, something wrong?" She said sitting at the table next to Maggie. I could feel everyone's gaze weighing heavy on my back.

"Yeah, just tired." I said.

"Jesus, what's all over your hand?!" Glenn said looking down to my hand and pointing. I quickly looked to my palm and saw it coated in blood, along with a little on my arm. My heart sunk when I realized that it was from y/n's arm, but tried to play it off as nothing.

"Uhm nothing, nothing just.. Walker blood." I said while wiping the blood off on the back of my pants. I had struggled to say that, mentally praying for them to have not seen past the lie I was forming.

"What'd you do, reach your hand inside a walker? Cmon Daryl, what happened?" Maggie spoke up. For a second I wanted to spill and tell them, but hey didn't need to know of my screw up.

"I said, it was a walker. What are y'all deaf?" I said spinning on my heal and started to walk back to my cell.

"Where's y/n? Weren't you supposed to be taking her shift?" Rick butt in at the last second. I stopped as soon as he mentioned her. My mind went racing back to how she looked at me in disgust, like I was a monster. I cringed at the memory and let out a sigh. Might as well get it over with.

"She was cuttin herself again. Got in a fight, she went back." I summed it all up in a sentence, not wanting to go into detail.

"Why didn't you tell us?!" Carol said frantically, standing up from her seat. I held my hand out, telling her to calm down. She nodded and slowly sat down, still giving me the death glare.

"How bad is she?" Rick said, standing right next to me. He gave me a look as if saying "so help me if you lie again".

"It's deep, her sleeves absorbed most of the blood."

He nodded and started to gather up medical supplies. I watched as he paced all around the room and threw gauze, peroxide, and whatever else necessary for he condition. He threw the bag over his shoulder and started to head towards the door until I ran in front of him and stopped him.

"No. I did this, I have to fix it." I said taking the bag from him and threw it over my shoulder. The weight only adding to the crossbow I already carried.
Rick nodded and walked back to the others. Carol looked back to me with a hopeful gaze and I nodded, letting her know I'd fix this.

When I approached the guard tower, it was dead silent. The only noise that could be heard were the walkers on the outside of the fence, a few saw me and moved over to where I was. They weren't getting in my way, It'd be a waste of an arrow.

I slowly moved up the stairwell. Still, no noise. I started to get nervous thinking she would've passed out, or worse. My mind going to the worst possible outcome, I then skipped the stairs two at a time trying to get to her.