By You (1) (Murphy)

Requested

"Damn key won't open the-" I jiggled the handle and fiddled with the door until it unstuck itself, practically causing me to fall through the doorway. I gripped the handle and hoisted myself up, taking it all in.

Ever since I was younger, whenever my parents and I came to Boston, we'd visit my granddad's bar and say hello. He'd show me around and introduce me to the regular customers. Although my parents didn't like the idea of my grandfather showing me around to a bunch of drunks, I loved every second of it.

Tossing my keys on the counter, I looked around and dusted off the counter, kicking the dust around and placing old glasses in the sink.

It took a lot to fix this place up, but with the help of a few friends we managed to get it up and running by the weekend. They even volunteered to help out with opening night.

From the second the sign said open to halfway through the evening the bar was bustling with lighthearted souls and heavy drinkers.

"Lindsay, 'that you?"

"Hey, Dave!" I reached across the bar and gave a partial bear hug to the burly man before me. His scruffy beard tickled my cheek and his jolly, deep voice bounced off the walls while a smile radiated off of him.

"Why, I remember when you were 'bout to here!" He said gesturing to the top of his leg.

Nodding and reminiscing the younger days brought a smile to my face, seeing the same people as well as new faces brought me back in time and left me in a state of nostalgia.

"Doc would be proud, he always mentioned your name!" Dave said while letting out a hearty chuckle. "That is, when he wasn't spoutin',shoutin', and swearin' at everyone."

"Yup, that sounds like him." Dave waved goodbye and followed the stream of people flooding into the bar to catch up with his buddies.

Nearly two in the morning and both Alec and Lexi took off nearly an hour ago. The bar was at least emptier, but still unbearable to keep up with.

If it wasn't a complaint one minute, it was a demand or a desperate attempt to grab my attention the next. Glasses clanking, the smell of liquor all around and absolutely zero to no patience practically consumed me as I struggled to take a breather.

"Lass, are you alright?" I looked up to see a man with partially spiked blondish-brown hair staring right at me.

"Yeah, yeah. Thanks." I said standing up straight and dusting off my jeans. "So what'll it be?"

"I'll take a whiskey, and what about you dear brother?" He asked behind him.

"Make that two!" A random voice in the crowd shouted.

"That's Murph, he's the lesser of us both. Takes him a while to get places if you catch my drift."

I let out a small laugh and stretched my hand out, shaking his hand in the process "the names' Lindsay."

"Lovely name! I'm Conor."

All of a sudden this man was practically shoved at the counter by the hoard of people stumbling in for one last drink. He caught himself just before any real damage could be done, but cringed as if he had broken something.

"Well where the hell have you been?" Conor shouted whilst vigorously patting this man's on the back.

"Yeah fuck you man."

"This here's Murph." The man looked up and caught my eyes almost immediately. His light blue ones latched on and it was nearly impossible to shake them off.

"Murphy," he said outstretching his hand as I did before. Taking his hand in mine I shook it back and smiled wider than I thought I could

"Lindsay."

"Great, now that we're all acquainted, where's Doc? I gotta set the man straight for workin' a young lady so hard." Connor looked around and paused when he saw my dismal facial expression. "Oh lass I'm sorry."

"He was my granddad. Left me this place when he passed. Said I'd be the only one capable of running it."

"Well it looks like you're doin' good so far." Murphy said cutting into the conversation.

"Oh shoot! I forgot your drinks!" Rushing around to quickly find decent looking shot glasses, I nearly spilt whiskey all across the counter.

"Hey calm down, we're here all the time. Not like we're in a hurry, breathe."

I did as Connor told me and took a deep breath, letting all of the tension melt off for the second it lasted.

"How long does it take to get a damned drink 'round here?" A man yelled in a slurred voice at the end of the bar.

"Think it's about time you go home pal!" I shouted across the way. He didn't like the sound of that too much, causing him to storm over to where I was standing. He leaned over the counter and spat cruel words at me, telling me off like a child.

"Now that's no way to treat a-"

"I don't wanna see your drunk ass in this bar again you here me? Show your face around here again and so help me I will personally light your sorry ass on fire with the bottles behind me." I said gesturing to the wall of liquor just over my shoulder.

Just as he was about to get one final word in, Murphy shoved him into the crowd where several other people pushed him down until he was out the doors. The whole bar cheered and clapped, both Connor and Murphy laughing and smiling through it all.

"I'm so beat." I said, resting my shoulders on the counter and pushing my face up to keep me awake.

"Need help cleaning up?" Murphy asked while he started gathering shot glasses.

"I should be alright, thanks though-"

Just then Connor hopped over the counter, snatched a rag off the rack and started wiping everything down. My hands were tied, there was no way they'd let me do this by myself.

"Well thank you guys, for everything." I said, walking them to the door.

"No problem, always willing to help." Connor said with a smirk.

"So I guess I'll be seeing you guys again?"

"Count on it." Murphy said sneaking in a peck on the cheek before he fled the scene. My eyes widened as I looked to Connor who was equally surprised.

"Ooh I think he's got a little crush!" He said in a high pitched tone. "Definitely gonna have to give him hell for that."

I laughed to myself before saying our goodbyes and locking the place up.

Just before I shut all the lights off downstairs, I glanced around the room and remembered what took place several hours ago.

Even though it's somewhat of a hassle, I couldn't be more grateful for this opportunity I've been given. It's a good place to call home.

(Part 1/4)